• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Method Development Competition January 2021 - The winner receives a $10 gift card! - Sponsored by SpeedCubeShop.com

Athefre

Voted. Out of curiosity, when will the next be held? I'm no cube theory maniac but I do like learning about methods and I'm thinking about participating next time.

The next one will likely be in late summer or early fall. It will be a different theme and not about 3x3 speedsolving. It will be a puzzle or area that needs development.

carcass

WCA
2018HANC03
What I like about each method:
Squall: L5EP in DR is genius, good blockbuilding influence
ECP: Very creative first step, almost entirely algorithmic
Utah: Nice 5CO and TTLL ending with some Blockbuilding
Atropos: I like how it uses F2L influence to make last layer far faster and overall more efficient

idk just wanted to get it out there

Athefre

The results are in! The overall winner of the competition is...

Squall from the Mehta Knights team!

1614480085094.png

The winner of the most original method is ECP from Kübirz!

1614480152158.png

The winner of Best for FMC is Squall from the Mehta Knights team!

1614480196090.png

Finally, the winner of Most Potential for Variants and Extensions is ECP from Kübirz!

1614481173064.png

The polling method used this time was Instant-Runoff. Whether that method was used or simply the most number 1 votes were counted, in all categories the result is the same winners. We had 41 votes and the majority of those votes came from the community and not from the teams themselves.

The form also had the option for voters to submit comments. Those can be read below. The comments can provide some perspective on why a method won a certain category and, in general, what the community thinks of each method.

Squall is almost identical to EOMR. Would classify it as a variant. Atropos could be better with ZZ-C algs, but also would be better if you just insert+ZBLL. ECP is genuinely pretty cool, just kinda impractical for speedsolving unfortunately. Utah is something that has been thought of before, but you're probably better off going for CFOP F2L. I still think that it could be kinda fast (like sub 10 fast) if you used a better LSLL (ZB or Zipper).

Interesting methods. Squall definitely has potential, but for one, the eo223 needs to be compared to petrus and leor eo223, and secondly, the statistics they provided at the end seem skewed(17tps is unreasonably high imo) The Atropos and Utah method need better documentation with a few more pics, because they are hard to read through as it stands. Overall, people have come up with some great methods. The Atropos method is definitely one of the most original methods I've seen. I'd love to see the teams put in a bit more and some fast cubers try out these methods.

A new aim for the methods should be added; they seem to lack quality compared to the last competition.

Squall is cool, Utah feels like a fusion between the francisco methods, and mehta-ct. also cool.

I don't have a grudge against Squall or anything, but I feel like it is just a knockoff of Roux and CFOP. And, of course I would vote our team's method for first. Utah is definitely my second favorite, it seems like a really cool and fun method. ECP has a lot of algs, which is difficult and may be painful to learn, but pretty good for speedsolving since it's mostly algorithmic. That's my verdict.

Squall is pretty unoriginal

I think I could figure out which method is Blobinati Central's

poggers methods

Squall: seems similar to YruRU but good method Atropos: interesting method that has lots of potential ECP: overall i was least impressed with this method Utah: improved version of keyhole with potential

Utah is pog and so is squall I don't really like atropos because its similar in a bad way but thus are my opinions

I did participate in this competition, but I tried to be as objective as possible.

Congrats to every participant, a real treat to read!

Utah

ECP better win most original.

Thanks everyone for participating in the competition! We will have a different theme next time, so look forward to that!

Thanks to every team for participating and to the community for voting! I will contact SpeedCubeShop.com and ask them how they would like to send the gift cards to the winning team. The next competition will likely be in late summer. This may have been the last time, at least for a while, that the theme of the competition is 3x3 speedsolving. The theme for the next competition will be something different and focused somewhere that needs development. So everyone look forward to that!