• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Method Development Competition January 2021 - The winner receives a $10 gift card! - Sponsored by SpeedCubeShop.com

Athefre

I am loving this comp, thanks for hosting it @Athefre

I'm glad you're enjoying the competition! The next one will likely be very different from this one, so look forward to that.

Maybe you could do a comp for cuboids or FTO or kilominx or something. The less heavily explored side of relatively popular puzzles.

Definitely. Something like that has been the plan since the first competition. I have a list of ideas and welcome ideas from others. I will add your suggestions to my list. So far the competition has been about creating 3x3 methods. 3x3 is already pretty well developed when it comes to speed methods. There are many other areas and puzzles that need attention. So that will become the focus of the competition starting with the next one. That may not be the only big change. After this competition ends I will be asking the competitors what they think about a certain idea that I have.

carcass

WCA
2018HANC03
I love the idea of another puzzle method dev competition. I was thinking megaminx, but at the top level you kinda do whatever method you feel like. 2x2 has too few options, big cubes would all be redux variants and pyraminx is all too first or v first. That leaves squan, clock, and skewb. Skewb is like 2x2 with Sarah’s advanced, and clock also hardly has any options. If there would be another event competition, it would probably have to be non wca to make any real improvements.

Silky

I love the idea of another puzzle method dev competition. I was thinking megaminx, but at the top level you kinda do whatever method you feel like. 2x2 has too few options, big cubes would all be redux variants and pyraminx is all too first or v first. That leaves squan, clock, and skewb. Skewb is like 2x2 with Sarah’s advanced, and clock also hardly has any options. If there would be another event competition, it would probably have to be non wca to make any real improvements.
FTO seems to be a good candidate with its rise in popularity. Also 4x4 could be an idea too. 4x4 incorporates direct solving, not just redux, and integrates 3x3 methods into the solve leaving many possibilities to explore.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
FTO seems to be a good candidate with its rise in popularity. Also 4x4 could be an idea too. 4x4 incorporates direct solving, not just redux, and integrates 3x3 methods into the solve leaving many possibilities to explore.
Yeah my gut feeling is that 4x4 still has some possibly interesting methods left. I'm not sure what the current status of trying to predict parities early is but if the community comes together for a new advanced counting method (maybe even with some part of it in inspection) maybe like CSP it will become viable. (For reference, squan has been a WCA event since 2003, yet CSP was only introduced in 2014.)

Last edited:

Silky

Yeah my gut feeling is that 4x4 still has some possibly interesting methods left. I'm not sure what the current status of trying to predict parities early is but if the community comes together for a new advanced counting method (maybe even with some part of it in inspection) maybe like CSP it will become viable. (For reference, squan has been a WCA event since 2003, yet CSP was only introduced in 2014.)
This would be really cool but it seems a rather daunting task. It seems that the closest that we have now would is solving parity at the end of edge pairing similar to k4. This could also mean that the method would have to be developed around the parity recognition which may not be beneficial/.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
This would be really cool but it seems a rather daunting task. It seems that the closest that we have now would is solving parity at the end of edge pairing similar to k4. This could also mean that the method would have to be developed around the parity recognition which may not be beneficial/.
I was browsing around and I wonder if any fast roux solvers have tried speedsolving with this method https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/intuitive-4x4-method-with-parity-avoidance.73049/

Athefre

when will the next comb be? Are they monthly?

Right now the competition is twice a year. But it could change to be more or less frequent. This depends on the goal of the competition and how often it feels like it should occur based on refinements. The next one is planned for summer, but that could change.

I'll also answer here your post from the other topic.

I have a really great method that I can solve with almost as fast as cfop even though I learned it in one day however I don't have time to make an entire doc about it. will the future competitions have 3x3 again?

The next competition won't be about 3x3 speedsolving methods. So you can post the method in the big New Method topic.