• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Method Development Competition January 2021 - The winner receives a $10 gift card! - Sponsored by SpeedCubeShop.com

Athefre

The competition starts tomorrow! Sign ups won't be allowed after that. So if you are wanting to compete, sign up now.

I wanna join ur team but I don't have discord so I can't to like a call or anything

Discord is easy to download and use. But if you have trouble figuring out how to use it, let me know.

Or if a team wants to create a separate group chat somewhere else, that is ok too.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Download discord on phone or laptop or pc
Using the document in the main post, you can add yourself as searching for a team. I will also help you join a team.
2 Things, my parents said I cant have discord until I graduate highschool (in mid-2025) and I got banned for a week a few hours after I said I wanna join ur team. Oh yeah and the comp has already started so I cant be a part of it sorry...

Athefre

2 Things, my parents said I cant have discord until I graduate highschool (in mid-2025) and I got banned for a week a few hours after I said I wanna join ur team. Oh yeah and the comp has already started so I cant be a part of it sorry...

Because you had the ban issue and showed interest in joining before the competition started, you are still allowed to join if you want. It just really depends on if an existing team would want to communicate outside of Discord.

I would have participated but my exams are knocking at the door. Will this event happen again in the future?

Yeah, it will continue. For now this is a semiannual event. As LukasCubes said, the next one will likely be in the summer. However, the next event won't be about creating a 3x3 speedsolving method. It will be something different that I won't reveal until the post is made. I'm looking at various ideas for the next event and have received a few ideas from others on Discord. Having themes for each competition will be fun I think.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
Because you had the ban issue and showed interest in joining before the competition started, you are still allowed to join if you want. It just really depends on if an existing team would want to communicate outside of Discord.
Maybe on facebook messenger if they have that? I just don't know if any team wants me.

LukasCubes

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll ask on the Discord server. If not, we'll find a way for you to join the next one. Maybe a group conversation here on SS would be convenient.
group conversation would be good but I would rather have my primary option on facebook messenger. I HAVE to be on the website and reload the page to get new notifications and messages here but I just get them whenever when it happens on facebook messenger. I don't care what I end up on or what option you choose tho. I will leave that to you.

Athefre

Last competition I proposed a method as a way of participating without competing. This time I will do the same. This is one that I have been thinking about for a while:

CBar:
Step 1:
FB on L
Step 2: Build two pairs on the U layer. This will be the pairs that go to UF+UFL and UB+UBL. Blockbuilding tricks and things like temporarily storing, or even building, a pair on the R layer will make this easy. The edges with the pairs can be the M edges that match the corners, any pair of M edges, or even L/R edges. Other pseudo techniques can be applied to the corners. The centers also don't have to be aligned with the pairs.
Step 3: R layer corners.
Step 4: Edges. The way I recommend at the moment is solving a triplet of R layer edges. Then do L4E on UL+UR+DF+DB. This is so that you can keep using the free slots at UL+UR.

This method takes advantage of a property, or flaw, that is in ELL, EPLL, and some L5E and LSE situations. Every common MU EPLL alg, for example, starts and ends with M2. The first M2 places the D edges on the U layer and the last M2 places them back. That is a waste of two moves. With this method, this small problem is solved. It also still provides for edge slotting during the edges step. Because CF methods are usually about doing things like U M' U'. I suppose FB could be built on the D layer and continue from there if someone prefers solving the last four corners on the U layer. But for overall ergonomics, FB on left is likely better.

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Last competition I proposed a method as a way of participating without competing. This time I will do the same. This is one that I have been thinking about for a while:

CBar:
Step 1:
FB on L
Step 2: Build two pairs on the U layer. This will be the pairs that go to UF+UFL and UB+UBL. Blockbuilding tricks and things like temporarily storing, or even building, a pair on the R layer will make this easy. The edges with the pairs can be the M edges that match the corners, any pair of M edges, or even L/R edges. Other pseudo techniques can be applied to the corners. The centers also don't have to be aligned with the pairs.
Step 3: R layer corners.
Step 4: Edges. The way I recommend at the moment is solving a triplet of R layer edges. Then do L4E on UL+UR+DF+DB. This is so that you can keep using the free slots at UL+UR.

This method takes advantage of a property, or flaw, that is in ELL, EPLL, and some L5E and LSE situations. Every common MU EPLL alg, for example, starts and ends with M2. The first M2 places the D edges on the U layer and the last M2 places them back. That is a waste of two moves. With this method, this small problem is solved. It also still provides for edge slotting during the edges step. Because CF methods are usually about doing things like U M' U'. I suppose FB could be built on the D layer and continue from there if someone prefers solving the last four corners on the U layer. But for overall ergonomics, FB on left is likely better.
Interesting method variant!

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I tried to make a Roux+3-style variant 2 years back. It was a interesting approach. I got good candidates which can be improvements over Roux, or to use 3-style in 3x3 speedsolving methods.