• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Quest to Get Faster [returned]

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

brododragon

Bump bump bump

I went to two weddings because apperently quarantine is the best time to do it. Also, tighter schedule so way less time for cubing.

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey @WoowyBaby could you explain intuitive CP? I figured out CO, but can't, for the life of me, figure out CP.
Okay!
First, carefully memorize positions really close to solved, and this makes it easy to intuitively 'set up' to one of these positions.
Here's a premade list. Apply the inverse of these sequences and see how it solves the cube!
R2 F2 R2 - R2 U' R2 - R2 U' F2 R2 - R2 U R2 U' R2 - etc. etc.
Don't treat this as algorithms per se, just get familair with all of the ways CP can look like when it's really close to solved!

Now it's kind of hard for me to simply explain with words how to really solve CP, it's kind of just a thing you sort of aquire, so I'll walkthrough some examples!

Scramble: R2 F' R2 U2 F U F' U2 R' and some random CO solution: x2 R2 U R'
U' // At this point, I completely know how to solve the cube from here because I know the Ortega PBL algs (but you do not need to know any algs to solve PBL optimally except the basic fundamental cases, btw, but, if you want to know how to solve PBL simply for speedsolving and nothing else, I would totally suggest brute force memorizing a ton of stuff. But, I'm going to assume you don't want to do that.)
R2 U' B2 // This sets the cube up to the R2 U R2 type of case
U2 R2 U' R2 // Finish the 2x2, and this is PBL in 8 moves (optimal).
Scramble: F U F R2 F U R2 U' F' and some random CO solution: x' R2 U' R'
U R2 U2 // Lol finish - I recognized this instantly. PBL in 3 moves (optimal). 6 move total solution lolol!!
Scramble: F2 R2 F' U F' U R' F2 R2 and some random CO solution: x' y R' U' R
Now, I can tell instantly that this case sucks. I know from experience that this type of case can't be solved easily and this is a bad case.
I will attempt to set this up to a combination of R2 U R2 U' R2 with R2 F2 R2.
U' R2 U' // Setting up to R2 U R2 U' R2 + R2 F2 R2 case lololol ew
R2 U R2 U' R2 B2 // Finish the 2x2 cube, PBL in 9 moves (optimal). I thought this would be atleast 10-11 moves for this PBL for be honest, I'm surprised. Nice.!
Scramble: U' F U' F R' F2 R U' R and some random CO solution: z2 U R' U R
Okay, for this one, again, this PBL case is not very close to anything that is close to solved, so again, I know this one is bad, but I specifically want you to notice the way in which I solve this one.
F2 U2 L2 // Forming a 3/4 layer block and a bar on top, which, when the bar is split, turns it into R2 U R2 U' R2 case.
U B2 U // Setup
R2 U' R2 U R2 // Finish the 2x2 cube, PBL in 11 moves (optimal once again). Total solution of 14 moves ewww lolol

Alright I'll do one last example for you:
U R F' R U2 R F U2 F and CO: z U2 R U' R
I saw exactly what the PBL was before I even finished CO, so I "cancelled into it" and ending with R instead of R'.
U R2 U' R2 U2 // Simply solving PBL with the easy R2 U R2 type of case. PBL in 5 moves.

Of these 5 CP/PBL solutions, 5 out of 5 of them were optimal. So for me at least, solving 2x2 CP/PBL optimally is very trivial. Average length was 7.20 moves.

I hope that helped you solve CP on the 2x2! At first there is a bit of a learning curve, but after a while, you'll totally get used to all of the ways CP can be on the 2x2. If you need any specific help on how to intuitively solve some CP cases, just lmk!

brododragon

Okay!
First, carefully memorize positions really close to solved, and this makes it easy to intuitively 'set up' to one of these positions.
Here's a premade list. Apply the inverse of these sequences and see how it solves the cube!
R2 F2 R2 - R2 U' R2 - R2 U' F2 R2 - R2 U R2 U' R2 - etc. etc.
Don't treat this as algorithms per se, just get familair with all of the ways CP can look like when it's really close to solved!

Now it's kind of hard for me to simply explain with words how to really solve CP, it's kind of just a thing you sort of aquire, so I'll walkthrough some examples!

Scramble: R2 F' R2 U2 F U F' U2 R' and some random CO solution: x2 R2 U R'
U' // At this point, I completely know how to solve the cube from here because I know the Ortega PBL algs (but you do not need to know any algs to solve PBL optimally except the basic fundamental cases, btw, but, if you want to know how to solve PBL simply for speedsolving and nothing else, I would totally suggest brute force memorizing a ton of stuff. But, I'm going to assume you don't want to do that.)
R2 U' B2 // This sets the cube up to the R2 U R2 type of case
U2 R2 U' R2 // Finish the 2x2, and this is PBL in 8 moves (optimal).
Scramble: F U F R2 F U R2 U' F' and some random CO solution: x' R2 U' R'
U R2 U2 // Lol finish - I recognized this instantly. PBL in 3 moves (optimal). 6 move total solution lolol!!
Scramble: F2 R2 F' U F' U R' F2 R2 and some random CO solution: x' y R' U' R
Now, I can tell instantly that this case sucks. I know from experience that this type of case can't be solved easily and this is a bad case.
I will attempt to set this up to a combination of R2 U R2 U' R2 with R2 F2 R2.
U' R2 U' // Setting up to R2 U R2 U' R2 + R2 F2 R2 case lololol ew
R2 U R2 U' R2 B2 // Finish the 2x2 cube, PBL in 9 moves (optimal). I thought this would be atleast 10-11 moves for this PBL for be honest, I'm surprised. Nice.!
Scramble: U' F U' F R' F2 R U' R and some random CO solution: z2 U R' U R
Okay, for this one, again, this PBL case is not very close to anything that is close to solved, so again, I know this one is bad, but I specifically want you to notice the way in which I solve this one.
F2 U2 L2 // Forming a 3/4 layer block and a bar on top, which, when the bar is split, turns it into R2 U R2 U' R2 case.
U B2 U // Setup
R2 U' R2 U R2 // Finish the 2x2 cube, PBL in 11 moves (optimal once again). Total solution of 14 moves ewww lolol

Alright I'll do one last example for you:
U R F' R U2 R F U2 F and CO: z U2 R U' R
I saw exactly what the PBL was before I even finished CO, so I "cancelled into it" and ending with R instead of R'.
U R2 U' R2 U2 // Simply solving PBL with the easy R2 U R2 type of case. PBL in 5 moves.

Of these 5 CP/PBL solutions, 5 out of 5 of them were optimal. So for me at least, solving 2x2 CP/PBL optimally is very trivial. Average length was 7.20 moves.

I hope that helped you solve CP on the 2x2! At first there is a bit of a learning curve, but after a while, you'll totally get used to all of the ways CP can be on the 2x2. If you need any specific help on how to intuitively solve some CP cases, just lmk!
Thanks, this is really helpful. Already getting accustomed to the basics!

D

Deleted member 55877

I think a good way to accomplish this remarkable feat is to eat 500 cupcakes

Reactions: qwr