• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I just got a really lucky scramble (27 moves, even though I average 48.917 moves per scramble) in Speed FMC last week and was wondering if there was a way to do it better and if there was a way to get more sub-30 move solves. Currently, the steps I go through are similar to Petrus, except at the end:

2x2x2 block //pretty simple, just 3 edges and a corner around 3 centers
2x2x3 block //adding on another 2 edges and a corner around a fourth center
Adjacent 2x2x1 block //adding on yet another 2 edges and a third corner around a fifth center
Strategic F2L-4 insertion //solving a fourth corner and an eighth edge to make a 3x3x2 block similarly to CFOP, but inserting it strategically to
//better the edges on the OLL case
OLL //Orientation of the Last Layer
PLL //Permutation of the Last Layer
Please let me know any suggestions you might have on how I can improve.

The details for the solution are as follows:
R' U' F L D' L2 U B2 R2 D' B2 L2 F2 L2 R' D' F L' D' R' D2 L2 U2 R' U' F
Solution: U2 L2 B’ U F’ L U’ F’ R’ U F’ U’ R’ F R’ F’ R U’ R’ U B’ D’ F D’ F’ D2 B

Breakdown:
U2 L2 B’ U F’ L U’ //2x2x3 Block (7/7)
F’ R’ U F’ U’ //Adjacent 2x2x1 Block (5/12)
R’ F R’ F’ R U’ R’ U //F2L (8/20)
B’ D’ F D’ F’ D2 B //LL (PLL skip!) (7/27)
27 moves (FMC PB!) + 3.39 minutes = 30.39

So if you see any improvements to that specific solution I could've made, that would be amazing. Additionally, If you know how I can do better on average (because I'm really bad at FMC overall and my best solution besides this is a 42), then please let me know. Thanks!
The two best things you can do to improve your solves are NISS and insertions. NISS is too complicated to explain in a post, look up a tutorial on YouTube. Insertions revolve around basically solving most of the pieces (usually by solving all edges after you reach a cubestate like in step three of what you laid out, leaving up to 5 corners), then solving those pieces with commutators "inserted" into the middle of the solve wherever they cancel the most moves. This also can be learned in full on YouTube

White KB

WCA
2019BRUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The two best things you can do to improve your solves are NISS and insertions. NISS is too complicated to explain in a post, look up a tutorial on YouTube. Insertions revolve around basically solving most of the pieces (usually by solving all edges after you reach a cubestate like in step three of what you laid out, leaving up to 5 corners), then solving those pieces with commutators "inserted" into the middle of the solve wherever they cancel the most moves. This also can be learned in full on YouTube
OK! Thanks for the advice. I already know about NISS, but I will definitely try and look up how to do insertions.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK! Thanks for the advice. I already know about NISS, but I will definitely try and look up how to do insertions.

Here's an example of a solution that uses both NISS/insertions for your scramble and 2x2x3 start:

Scramble: R' U' F L D' L2 U B2 R2 D' B2 L2 F2 L2 R' D' F L' D' R' D2 L2 U2 R' U' F

U2 L2 B' U F' L U' //223 block (7/7)
(U F U' R) //F2L-1 (4/11)
(R F R2 D R D') //L3C (5/16)

Skeleton: U2 L2 B' U F' (*) L U' D R D' R2 F' R2 U F' U'

*: U R2 U' L U R2 U' L'

Final solution: U2 L2 B' U F' U R2 U' L U R2 U2 D R D' R2 F' R2 U F' U' (21)

Moves done on the inverse scramble are in parentheses, the skeleton puts all them together back on the normal scramble only with 3 corners remaining. The insertion at (*) finishes those 3 corners while cancelling some moves.

White KB

WCA
2019BRUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's an example of a solution that uses both NISS/insertions for your scramble and 2x2x3 start:

Scramble: R' U' F L D' L2 U B2 R2 D' B2 L2 F2 L2 R' D' F L' D' R' D2 L2 U2 R' U' F

U2 L2 B' U F' L U' //223 block (7/7)
(U F U' R) //F2L-1 (4/11)
(R F R2 D R D') //L3C (5/16)

Skeleton: U2 L2 B' U F' (*) L U' D R D' R2 F' R2 U F' U'

*: U R2 U' L U R2 U' L'

Final solution: U2 L2 B' U F' U R2 U' L U R2 U2 D R D' R2 F' R2 U F' U' (21)

Moves done on the inverse scramble are in parentheses, the skeleton puts all them together back on the normal scramble only with 3 corners remaining. The insertion at (*) finishes those 3 corners while cancelling some moves.
Thanks for the example! Also, I'm a huge fan of the Layer by Layer podcast, so extra thanks!