• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

flee135

WCA
2008LEEF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was hoping somebody could help me out with my start for the first Nationals scramble.

(Premoves) and inverse: ((D2 or D') B' L D B D2) U D2 L B2 R2 U' L F' D2 L2 D F2 R' D2 R2 B2 U' D B2

TripleXCross: U R2 U R (D' or D2, depending on premove)

I figured 6 premoves plus 5 moves to get a Triple-X block wasn't so bad, but my solution still turned out to be 38 moves. Could've been in the low 30s, but there were no 8-move insertions, and I don't know how to do anything above that, so I had to improvise and add like 5 or 6 moves in there :p

CharlesOBlack

Hey guys, I just put together the last four FMC results using the idea I had for comparing solve efficiency, which would hopefully let people work in any give metric.

As a quick disclaimer, I am not doing this to promote some random idea I had. I am simply pursuing an avenue of curiosity and figured it was worth sharing. I am by no means convinced that this kind of hybrid system is better than just sticking with HTM.

Here's the break down of optimal solve length done in each metric (sorted QTM, HTM, STM):

305: 19, 18, 17
304: 20, 18, 17
303: 20, 18, 18
302: 22, 17, 16

Here's the conversion. C is for Classic, O is for Official. I put the score, and which metric it came from. A big thing we are looking for is that there aren't any big upsets, since everyone was using the same metric. The "^" show anyone who went up a position. All the "^" boil down tie-breakers (same result in HTM, but one person had a more efficient solve in another metric) except for one. In the Official FMC 302, Всемирный jumps Tomoaki despite a 30 v. 29 HTM, because his QTM is 36. Comparing efficiencies, 36 QTM is more efficient than 29 HTM.

37977_668895720710_25914010_38608409_1577497_n.jpg

Could this satisfy STMers without making HTM obsolete? Not sure either way yet, but it's interesting to see it in action.

hahaha... I suck at FMC, apparently (last round I got most efficient in STM lol)

Jude

WCA
2008WRIG02
US Nationals Round 2 Scramble:
B2 D' U B2 R2 D2 R F2 D' L2 D2 F L' U R2 B2 L' D2 U'

ROARRRRR! I'm so angry at this.

My solution:

Double X-cross: R' B R2 U' F U D L D' U' F

To make it a triple x-cross I inserted L' U' L U at the start, giving

L' U' L U R' B R2 U' F U D L D' U' F

Putting in the last corner solves a load of stuff and it cancels with the triple x-cross, so

L' U' L U R' B R2 U' F U D L D' U' R2 F

leaves just 2 corners and 2 edges. In the competition I just inserted a v-perm and got 30 moves (but DNFed because I wrote down my solution wrong :/), but shortly after I found a much better insertion using the inversion of the reflection of the Old Pochmann alg x' R2 U' R' U x R' F' U' F R U R' U', i.e. U' L' U L F U' F' L' x' U L' U' L2 x.

Insert it after the first 4 move insertion, which gives:

F U' F' L' B L' B' L2 R' B R2 U' F U D L D' U' R2 F (20 HTM)

Yes, that's 20 moves. I'm so annoyed I forgot that alg during the competition. I actually saw that spot for an insertion and spent a couple of minutes trying to remember the old pochmann alg but couldn't do it and just used a v perm instead :/

Last edited:

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did my first ever FMC solve at Nats, and it was actually kind of a race. Rowan, Weston, and I found our solutions within stackmat-time (sub-10), so 40 moves wasn't too bad imo.

The next solve was total bull though. (TOTAL bull.)

I DNF'd it because I was a cube rotation off. >_>

(Cross on F) inverse scramble: U R' F U2 B D B2 D' F2 D F D F2 U2 F' D' L2 U

Cross: x' y2 D2 L2 U F U (threw in the U just to screw with the top layer a bit) R' D2
F2L 1: R' U' R U L' U' L
F2L 2: R U R' U R U' R'
LOLOL
WAT

I ended up using that COLL alg + a U perm for the last layer, but found cancellations and my solution was 35 moves. Oh well.

jfly

WCA
2005FLEI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(Cross on F) inverse scramble: U R' F U2 B D B2 D' F2 D F D F2 U2 F' D' L2 U

Cross: x' y2 D2 L2 U F U (threw in the U just to screw with the top layer a bit) R' D2
F2L 1: R' U' R U L' U' L
F2L 2: R U R' U R U' R'
LOLOL
WAT

I ended up using that COLL alg + a U perm for the last layer, but found cancellations and my solution was 35 moves. Oh well.

Lol! I remember this. Pretty hilarious.

JustinJ

Premium Member
WCA
2008JAFF01
Second solve at Nats:

Scramble: U' L2 D F U2 F2 D' F' D' F2 D B2 D' B' U2 F' R U'

2x2: U' B' U2 L' U R2
xCross: U2 L' B
F2L 2: L U' L'
F2L 3: L' U L U L' U2 L
F2L 4: R' U2 R
OLL+PLL skip: F R' F' L F R F' L' U'

With cancellations:
U' B' U2 L' U R2 U2 L' B L U' L2 U L U L' U2 L R' U2 R F R' F' L F R F' L' U' = 30 moves

So lucky :D

Someone pointed out to me later that I should have tried for an insertion, but whatever.

Admin

Banned
In solve 3 i would recommend doing k3 perm to solve x-cross including flipp edges b5 and c2 easy corners do this communtator F' B' R2 and the k1 orientation alg and the corners are done! For the last egdes just do a normal U3-perm modification and done! total 29 moves. For more questions pm me.

Kryptonite

Hey guys, figured out something cool in my last solve. What it basically comes down to is that there is a simple (ish) way to avoid a pre-move for a final pseudo-block for an F2L minus slot.

A number of times I've come across a cube that I want to move from 2x2x3 to F2L-1, and a pseudo-block does it best. However, at that point I really don't want to go back and do the pre-moves for it--let alone two different ones. So, from here I'd try to solve the two different positioning cases, mentally adjusting for how the pre-move will affect things. When your pre-move should be a half turn it's not so bad, because you just have to switch opposite colors, which is pretty simple. But, when you need a quarter turn pre-move, things get pretty rough.

As I got more ambitious with this, I noticed something. When I followed them through to the end, both pseudo-block positions gave the same results.

What this means is that there is only one case to examine, and we can simply put the pseudo-block in its easiest position for F2L-1: where the pre-move would be a double turn. From here I can mentally swap the opposite colors for the one side, and continue the solve.

Once you've got the cube ready for insertions, do the pre-move you would have done to fix the pseudo-block (a pseudo-side at this point)--that's where your pre-move goes anyway!

Last edited:

Kryptonite

As I got more ambitious with this, I noticed something. When I followed them through to the end, both pseudo-block positions gave the same results.

I don't get it, why would this be true? This seems highly counter-intuitive and unlikely.

I'm not sure. And unfortunately, as with most things involving the cube, I can't prove it's true, I can only say I had it happen enough times that I was satisfied with calling it true.

A counter-example would of course prove my assertion incorrect, and I'll gladly edit my post should someone find one. I'll also keep double checking.

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't get that either really. Let's say you want to finish (pseudo) F2L, then it's quite unlikely that you get the same cases for the last pair for both pseudo block positions.

Kryptonite

I don't get that either really. Let's say you want to finish (pseudo) F2L, then it's quite unlikely that you get the same cases for the last pair for both pseudo block positions.

Hmm, that's a good point. I overlooked that because I typically try to go from F2L-1 > Complete Skeleton. Where as your suggestion would likely be F2L-1 > F2L > Complete Skeleton. My guess is that I found it to work because Pre-moves happen directly after the complete skeleton.

Maybe it works with a 1-step approach, but not in 2-steps? Or did I just get lucky? The latter seems too odd.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
U' B2 F2 L2 D L2 D' B2 L2 D L U2 B' F2 U L' R2 F L U'

2x-cross: x2 y F' R U' R' D' [5]
F2L 3: y' R U' R' U2 y' R' U' R [7/12]
F2L 4: U2 R U2 R' U y' R' U' R [8/20]
OLL: y L U L' U L U2 L' [7/27]
PLL: x U2 R2 U L U' R2 U L' U B2. [10/37]

CFOP with double x-cross.

EDIT: Forgot OLL y rotation.

Last edited:

CharlesOBlack

OLL: U L U L' U L U2 L' [7/27]
PLL: x U2 R2 U L U' R2 U L' U B. [10/37]

This was what worked for me.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

OLL: U L U L' U L U2 L' [7/27]
PLL: x U2 R2 U L U' R2 U L' U B. [10/37]

This was what worked for me.

Fixed with a y rotation before OLL.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Weekly 33 scramble: L2 R2 U R' D B F2 D' B' L' B2 L F2 D2 R2 U B' U
FMC: 34
B2 R B' L' U F L' F2 D2 F L' B L D L' D' B U' L U B' U B' U2 L U B2 L2 B' L2 B' L2 B2 L
Very easy scramble this week. Here's the explanation.
I found a 13 double X-cross that was far more obvious, but it was actually much more move efficient to first form a 2x2x2 then make it bigger.
2x2x2: B2 R B'
Expand to 2x2x3: L' U F L' F2 D2 F
I then chose to do green after heaps of testing.
Expand to triple X-cross: L' B L D L' D' B U' L U
Use the bolded L to force a PLL skip.
Last pair plus messing around with LL: B' U B' U2 L
OLL: U B2 L2 B' L2 B' L2 B2 L

34 moves, PB :D
I did this is 25 mins~ because I had to take the dog for a walk :p but I'm not sure if this would've improved in the remaining time.

Can't wait to see some other people's results, I think there'll be a lot of sub 30s this week.

So... how to improve? Can someone use my basic solution, to get a shorter solution? eg: insertions? I understand insertion, but I'd love to see a real life example of one, on my own solution.
Thanks if you do :D (PS: what is the "general" method used by the best fmc solvers?)

Edit: My solution wasn't working so it was a DNF. However, I now fixed it, so can I have some tips now? :D
It sucks because I did it on paper, and the solution I had on the paper was correct, I just mucked it up while typing, and didn't have time to test it.

Last edited:

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
B2 R B' L' U F L' F2 D2 F L' B L D L' D' B U' L U B' U B' U2 L U B2 L2 B' L2 B' L2 B2 L
I found a 13 double X-cross that was far more obvious, but it was actually much more move efficient to first form a 2x2x2 then make it bigger.

I did this is 25 mins~ because I had to take the dog for a walk :p but I'm not sure if this would've improved in the remaining time.

Can't wait to see some other people's results, I think there'll be a lot of sub 30s this week.

So... how to improve? Can someone use my basic solution, to get a shorter solution? eg: insertions? I understand insertion, but I'd love to see a real life example of one, on my own solution.
Thanks if you do :D (PS: what is the "general" method used by the best fmc solvers?)

Edit: My solution wasn't working so it was a DNF. However, I now fixed it, so can I have some tips now? :D
It sucks because I did it on paper, and the solution I had on the paper was correct, I just mucked it up while typing, and didn't have time to test it.

The optimal 2x2x3 for that scramble is 6 moves (L2 B2 R D2 B' U) and quite many cubers found it, so I guess you could pay more attention to your start. Even with your start I would have probably expanded differently, for example B2 R B' then F L2 F (or F2) D2 F2 (or F) U and maybe try adding some extra moves in between to orient edges or to get more blocks.

After your 2x2x3, I can't be sure what you have tried here, but my first try would be L2 B D' B' D or B L2 D' B D to build more blocks. Also D L D' B2 L' seems like a decent try. Notice that you can also use those block as pseudo blocks to get more ways to try. If those don't seem to work, then you can try building blocks differently or maybe try orienting some edges first, for example L U' L U B D' B' D orients a couple of edges, preserves the other CE-pair and is not much longer than just L2 B D' B' D. Also B' U B U' D L2 (or L) D' looks nice, and actually you would get a decent solve by continuing L B2 U B U' and L U' L' B' L B U B' L' B. Your continuation seems to me quite long, but on the other hand you got a nice LL so maybe it was worth it. This is mostly about trial and error, the more ways you can come up with building the blocks, the better.

I don't have time now to analyze more, like finding an example with a commutator insertion etc. You can also sometimes insert an LL-case as well, but it really requires that it's something simple that doesn't affect too many pieces or maybe just affects the orientation. Now that would be just a stupid thing to try.

CharlesOBlack

I can't make your solution work, so... looks like it isn't fixed.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Scramble weekly comp 32: B2 L' R F' U F' L' R2 U B2 R2 B' R2 U' L2 U2 L2

L' R' U' R' B F2 EOLine 6/6
R D2 U2 L U2 R' D2 L' D2 L' 1st 1x2x3 block 10/16
D' R D R D' R 2nd 1x2x3 block 6/22
R' B R F' R' B' R F OLL 8/30
F' D2 F' D' L' F' L2 D' L' D L' F L D' F PLL 15/45

4 moves cancelled = 41 moves

L' R' U' R' B F2 R D2 U2 L U2 R' D2 L' D2 L' D' R D R D' B R F' R' B' R D2 F' D' L' F' L2 D' L' D L' F L D' F

Et voila, my first attempt at Fewest Moves.

The actual solution was found within the hour but I had quite a hard time in rewriting the algs for cube rotations and double layer turns.
Especially the F perm was messing me up all the time.

Feel free to comment on my (lack of) blockbuilding skills.
After making the EOLine there was this red/white center-edge pair waiting to be used but I could just not find a way to use it???

Over the next few days I am going to work through some of the the solves for this scramble in the weekly comp thread to see how the experts do this.
I have already read Arnaud's post on FMC and I see I have still quite a lot to learn.
Think I will start learning commutators so I can work with insertions without having to learn too many algs.