• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The CB method

Status
Not open for further replies.

westerhack

Ok, so I just learned the Oll's and the PLL's, and I'm thinking to myself, "What would happen if I tried the PLLs and OLLs on the bottom AND top? so, I came up with the Center Band method. I will be trying to illustrate it. I have just developed it, and I still have some kinks to work out, but I am posting it so other people might help with the kinks. The goal of this method is to create two faces that are completely independent, and each can be solved using the PLL and OLL on each.

Step 1:make the cube look like this

Step Two: setting the corners into place

This step is more intuitive. What you are aiming for, is for the top to be in a solveable state (the corners that is)
This isn't solvable:

But this is:

I personally do a R2, then the U, U2, U', D, D2, or D' (or any combination) to line up the corner pieces before doing the R2 to reset it.
Step Three:
You need to position the top layer in a solvable state, (this time the center pieces)
again, this isn't solvable (if the rest of the cube was finished. That is what we are aiming for) :

but this is:

for this case: (E1)

and this case(the color under the blue is yellow) (E2)

I would do D' M D M'
If you end up with the upper layer with three or one pieces (i.e. normally someone would have flipped a piece) like this:

I would do M D M' D' M D2 M'
There, you now have to sides that Oll and PLL can be used on!

(This method is VERY intuitive. There are many ways you can set up each layer, so be creative! If you need help, or if anything isn't clear, just ask)

Have fun, and KEEP CUBING!
-Westerhack

westerhack

really? cool. I like it cause it gives a lot of freedom

mk. Well, I will try and invent another one. I wanna try to make an optimal one that isn't created by someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you have to keep looking continuously at the D layer for pieces without really solving any D layer pieces, that's a sign that the method in question is a bad idea...

EDIT: hmm maybe I should take that back... (freeslicing edge pairing)

EDIT2: I hope this isn't being proposed as something superior to CFOP because CFOP LL takes roughly 3 seconds on average if you're quite fast. So if you want to average let's say 8 seconds then we are left with: 8 - 2*3 (for OLL and PLL on U and D) = 2 seconds to create the belt, separate the pieces into the correct layers and make sure that both layers display regular OLL and PLL cases. This seems rather hard and slow to achieve even if you could do this in one look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.