• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Block-building Diet

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How did I arrive at the opening move of Petrus? Well, I had just pushed through months of strictly color-neutral CFOP solves and felt that the conventional wisdom about taking a break was wise. I didn't so much as hold a cube in my hands for a week, but then I got restless. Everything I had pounded in needed to rest, but could I work on something else?

Why yes...since I had never really taken on block-building as a serious pursuit, not only would it give CFOP a rest, it would give CN something new to work on, an environment in which a fixed color never existed. Pure. And if I'm right, it will lead to more x-crosses in the future...

golddot.gif

There is a dearth of information about block-building on the Internet (Petrus' site is still one of the best), so I am creating this thread to stimulate sharing of macros. They're too short to be called "algs" hehe. I am by no means a master of block-building; in fact I'm pretty noob. But I am doing the work and if anyone wants to contribute I think it would be a positive learning experience for all.

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll start:

Petrus' "Double-swing"

double swing.gif

R2 U2 R2

Built-in fingertrick, solves to DRF block. And so short!

In the optimal starting position, the edges appear solved; F2 and it looks like the corner is solved and you have to move the edges, which initially threw me. But not as much as these half-turn block-building tricks.

What I really like about this is that it makes good use of pre-built edges. Those were troubling, and I avoided them because it felt too "CFOP." But now I see.

Last edited:

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Permute edge diagonal F.gif

R U' R U R' -- Permute FU to RU with FRU & FR already solved (makes 1x2x2 panel on R)

Permute edge diagonal.gif

R U' R' U R' -- Permute RU to FU with FRU & FR already solved (makes panel on F)

One the one hand, these are actual cases you could setup and gogogo. But I think it's even more interesting to study how they work. God was so clever here...

* The number 4 in the diagram is a hint for the 4th block piece ;)

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh okay,
When I have the L D edge placed on the left (First block in Roux), and the L F edge is in the F D spot. The correct corner is to the right of the U F edge, I do the l' U L to get a 1x2x2 block.

Does this make sense?
I cannot visualize it, but I am interested. Can you draw a picture?

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In roux first block, u' R' u R u' R2 u flips an edge, and so does F' M F2 M2 F'.

I cannot visualize it, but I am interested. Can you draw a picture?

He means wide insertions, set up L' U' l.
However, cheese11: it'd be better to do just R' F on the first block!

Last edited:

majikat

WCA
2003ATKI01
Awesome thread, Thanks! I used to use Petrus, but just recently switched to Roux.
I'm especially interested if anyone has tips for the second block, I'm getting used to it but still need some work.
I'll see if I can throw together some things I've figured out, to contribute- I'm definitely more experienced with Petrus, though, at this point.

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome thread, Thanks! I used to use Petrus, but just recently switched to Roux.
I'm especially interested if anyone has tips for the second block, I'm getting used to it but still need some work.
I'll see if I can throw together some things I've figured out, to contribute- I'm definitely more experienced with Petrus, though, at this point.

I would be interested in anything you have to say about Petrus. Yes, please.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to digest the following:

Petrus "Roundabout"

Basic case:

base stoplight.gif

R B L

Forms a 1x1x2 block that is free to roam the wilderness.

Setup for F:

roundabout pickup F.gif

R B L

The color on F matters now as it receives the 1x2x2 block. Match the sticker with FU to the center and place the F color on UL.

Setup for U:

roundabout pickup U.gif

R B L

Now U is fixed, matching UF. Setup the UB sticker to match FUR. The first R move connects, and they swing around to form a 1x2x2 on U.

Setup whole 2x2x2:

roundabout fully locked.gif

R B L

U and F colors must match UF. It's fun to try and set up these "perfect" cases, and doing so builds recognition, but the 4th piece or the centers are not always in a great spot to put it all together...more often than not, I find it more appropriate to form a somewhat free 1x2x2 and track the 4th piece.