• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The angstrom temporus thread.

Do you think $75 is worth it?

• Total voters
C

Cubinwitdapizza

So, in the upcoming puzzles thread, I kinda started a debate about the price of the cubicles new clock, and so instead of crowding the upcoming puzzles thread, I thought it would be good to put it here instead. So, continue anymore thoughts about this on this thread.

C

Cubinwitdapizza

This is true, but, this clock still does use some lingao parts in it. So, I kinda feel that it’s worth it but it’s also not. I feel like another reason it’s expensive, because the clock faces are custom. Also, most diners are cheapies. That’s why they cam to this hobby.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is true, but, this clock still does use some lingao parts in it. So, I kinda feel that it’s worth it but it’s also not. I feel like another reason it’s expensive, because the clock faces are custom. Also, most diners are cheapies. That’s why they cam to this hobby.
You’re going to need to edit that post lol

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the price they are charging is definitely justified. There’s a materials cost, but also a research and production cost to making these clocks. It’s not exactly cheap to figure out how to do all this stuff and so it deserves compensation for innovation. Moyu nor QiYi figured this out.
If it’s out of someone’s price range, that’s just how it is. That sounds cold but it is how life is. You don’t make a product and then sell it below cost. That’s how you go bankrupt.
For the clock enthusiasts, the price is definitely worth it to reward TheCubicle for their hard work, and for the privilege of being one of the first to get it.

Etotheipi

It was sold out very quickly, so a fair few people are definitely are willing to pay the price. I think this might encourage other companies to make their own clocks and push the price down, which would be great for clockers. But that might take a while.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's handmade (not mass-produced by a big manufacturer) and is a first-gen product with limited production so ofc it's gonna be expensive.
Later if The Cubicle decides to contract with a manufacturer to produce in bulk the price will go down, but people are already willing to spend $60 on GAN puzzles, so this doesn't even seem that big of a stretch.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just a side note, I asked Chris and he said to ask him again, but TheCubicle may offer an optional maglev conversion kit for it later

Can you give a brief review? What was better about it compared to other clocks?
I'm no expert at clock, but I likes it a lot. It's shape made it easy to grip, and since the outside is 3D printed, it doesn't slip. The magnets are inside the pins, so they won't fall. Since the pins are black and the clocks white, there's a big contrast. I tried Lucas Niewland's custom clock, and he admitted the angstrom was better. It also looked super cool :p !

Last edited:
Reactions: qwr

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Huh. I preordered one but I haven’t gotten an email about it yet
You’ll prolly get an email today or tomorrow. I was the first or second person to order the clock since I refreshed the page right when it went up. I knew the time it would go up because they posted on their socials a picture of a clock hand pointing at 12 earlier that day so I figured I’d check the page at 12 and it was up

Josh_

WCA
2019MARR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
You’ll prolly get an email today or tomorrow. I was the first or second person to order the clock since I refreshed the page right when it went up. I knew the time it would go up because they posted on their socials a picture of a clock hand pointing at 12 earlier that day so I figured I’d check the page at 12 and it was up
Thats pretty clever. I was refreshing between mega solves because I had no idea when it would be up. I clicked on it fast enough though that it still said “buy” instead of “preorder”. Hopefully the email comes soon!

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thats pretty clever. I was refreshing between mega solves because I had no idea when it would be up. I clicked on it fast enough though that it still said “buy” instead of “preorder”. Hopefully the email comes soon!
Definitely! I’d bet at the latest it will be at the end of the week. I think they only made like 20-30 clocks in this batch