• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Amazing Rubik's Brand?

Thread starter #1
Well, I've been wondering about this question for quite a while, and scouring the forums for some sort of answer, but all have either been old or not explained in thorough detail.

So. My first cube was a Rubik's Brand 3x3x3, I feel that is quite a common occurrence.
When I got into cubing, not too long ago I must say, I was fixated on being able to do all of these what seemed amazing impossible moves, but having a Rubik's brand obviously meant a stiff slow cube, which had no corner cutting what so ever.
So, I decided to see if with a lot of use, I could make it almost as good as a average speedcube.

I ended up doing around 1000 solves and around 10hrs of forced corner cutting on all sides and noticed a significant speed increase.
I then proceeded to lube it with some Silicone Spray, and left it for around 24hrs.

My average solve time with that cube is around Sub 20, only just.

The Rubik's branded cube is regarded as a beginner cube, one which is usually bought when the user has not a lot of knowledge into speed and/or cubing, but I feel like I almost have redefined that.

Honestly, I wouldn't compete with it, I'd much prefer my Gans or Zhanchi.

Please post below If you have any similar experience?

Blurry/Jake.

WCA
2014RYAN03
YouTube
XileSolver
Before I (tried) to make mine into a barrel I could get sub-20 solves on it.
It's really not that all that odd that you can get sub-20's on a rubik's brand.
It's when you get really fast that cubes make a big difference (I'm not
"really fast" btw) but still gg, 10hrs is a long time to work on any cube!

Thread starter #3
Before I (tried) to make mine into a barrel I could get sub-20 solves on it.
It's really not that all that odd that you can get sub-20's on a rubik's brand.
It's when you get really fast that cubes make a big difference (I'm not
"really fast" btw) but still gg, 10hrs is a long time to work on any cube!
]

Well, I mean. This was over around a 1week period, constantly having free periods and free time around the house and teaching various people how to solve. In retrospect, I don't think it's that long, comparing how long and how many solves I must have done.

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Lchu01
For my team's YCDTRC team (the competition with only Rubik's Brands) we did a lot of modding and experiments, and we've gotten some of the cubes to the point that they'd be on par with my Weilong and Zhanchi if not for lock-ups.

But the mech is still badly outdated and you can't get them to cut or reverse cut satisfactorily without hacking the cores and making them tensionable.

YouTube
criticalcubing
I have bad memories with Rubiks brand!
I started cubing with a local brand and it was pretty good. Without lubrication and with that cube I avereged 40 sec with LBL. Then I though to change and bought a Rubiks brand. Instead of making my times faster, it made my times slower so I didnt use it much. Took the local brand cube and played with it until I was 30 sec avg with F2L, 4LLL. Then bought Weilong and currently 16-17 sec avg.
Started cubing in the 2nd week of Jan! :)

YouTube
Thecubicle18
Up until recently, I never had a proper speecube for 3x3. I just used a storebought Rubiks and averaged within 1 second of what I currently average with my Weilong. I still solve it occasionally, and except for needing to be lubed more often than my weilong, it is a fun cube to solve.