• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thanks discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I could definitely go for the thanks feature or a similar one if it is not nearly as intrusive as the one implemented yesterday. For example, on the tapatalk app, thanks were indicated by a small yellow "thumb up" with a number next to it on each post that had received at least one thank. Then I could tap the thumb to see who had thanked it. I think that kind of thing would allow people to use the feature without thinking about it too much, since the last thing you want is to have this feature distracting people from the actual content of the posts.

I think part of the reason people were abusing it is because the thanks bar was so obnoxious. My vote is to add it back but just with a little icon in the corner.

Last edited:

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmmm... I understand your point of veiw mark, but I must argue that it would be just as easy (if not easier) to search a generalized thread for a specific topic as it is to search for a thread over a specific topic.

I am content with how the thread is now. We all know who are the users that are more helpful. (Good job CuBerBruce! You never cease to amaze me. Of course there are others who make good posts aswell.) I find that if you make a thread/post about a topic that is very in-depth, thought provoking, or even just hard to understand, that tends to root out unhelpful responses (If you don't include the ones talking about how your post is so confusing when theres no real better way to explain it, and it is implied in the fourm rules not to get carried away with these kinds of comments).

EDIT: It would be just as possible to search for higher rated threads within a thread as within a sub-forum aswell. Basically, the thread is a sub-forum thats not divided, which could be better organized by division, but you must consider the benefits of the thread over the sub-forum aswell.

Reasons for a thread over a sub-forum:

1: Some things are not really important enough to make a thread for. (Thats what I said the 'New Ideas" thread would be for anyway. Any idea that is large enough judging by the amount of community response to it, should have their own thread.)

2: Not so many new created threads over the same thing. If the threads rules were upheld, the clutter in the thread would cease and, you would not have multiple posts over the same thing. You may be wondering how having forum rules to keep from making threads with already covered topics is any different from thread rules about making posts with already covered topics. The answer is that it would be easier to sort out posts over the same thing than threads over the same thing because the threads are more specific than sub-forums.

3: The forum would be more organized to have generalized threads for non-specific ideas than to have generalized sub-forums for non-specific ideas.

Last edited:

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do think is can be a helpful feature, but like most things in life, it can be abused. Without a doubt some people will get a mass of thanks, say someone who spends time in the question threads. But these people are already known to be helpful. Nothing big there.

I think a feature like 4chans sage would be cool. Being able to post without having to bump the thread is nice. But it could also be misused. The proper way to use it would be in the case you make a reply that you find to not be helpful or needed much. Like posting thanks. You still post but the thread doesn't bump.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So these are the kind of responses that make the system not work. Instead of trying to actually create helpful and useful posts, and welcome newbies into our community, people would rather just continue as usual - which has been down a path where the quality of posts has declined consistently. This way of thought degrades the forum for everyone, and it is a very tough fix. Obviously as a forum grows, there are more people so the odds of a post being useful declines. But for members who have been here for awhile and know how helpful the community can be, it is important to realize that if you continue with that way of thought and make posts that are frankly worthless, the forum will continue to degrade and it eventually won't be too useful for upcoming newbies.

For me it's not about deliberately making useless posts so I don't get thanked; occasionally I do put in an effort to be helpful, and I'm sure you see that from time to time. Rather, for me it's the stigma of people seeing that I've been "thanked" for something; I don't like the idea of that at all. It's the same reason I chose not to be involved in the private forum. I see the "thanking" system as off-putting, and therefore I'd be forced to go out of my way to not be helpful lest I get "thanked".

Now I know I'm a rare case, but that's how I feel about it.

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I said "wow dene you're so edgy and cool" which was sarcastic, you said "inorite" apparently ignoring the sarcasm and feigning ignorance.

The only way that you wouldn't be feigning ignorance would be that if "Oh dear, gee wizz, I didn't pick up on that. You break my heart Thomas. " was not sarcastic.

Am I to believe that this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.