• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tempest 3V1 Development Thread (Hi)

Who Should Tempest Work With on Mass Manufacturing?

• MoYu

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • QiYi

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • GAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuxin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • FangShi

• ShengShou

• Dayan

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Independent Company

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sion

Do you have a price point? Also, (this may be a silly question) is the complete(sellable) cube going to be 3-d Printed?
If I can't find a mass marketer, be warned that (after doing pricing on shapeways) The 3V1 would be about $160, which is 10x the price I want it to be if mass produced. Ironically, because of the file sizes, the 3S1 would be priced even higher than the 3v1.

I anticipate the 3v1 to be between 15-19 dollars US.

A magnetic would be between 23-27 dollars US

I anticipate the 3s1 between 5-9 dollars US.

A magnetic would be between 13-17 dollars US.

I don't want to hitch the price too much. I would much rather do the talking with the company, but those are the price ranges I hope my cubes fall under. I plan to do this with more dense and simple packaging, because in actuality, what do you need all the little tidbits for? I might make packaging black with a matte finnish and glossy blue foil designs for the 3V1, and green foil designs for the 3S1. I kind of want each of my cube lines to have their own special color they can be characterized with.

Of course down the line I'll work with these two and future events to create bundles with all the fun little tidbits.

Polished plastic would probably be best, since, well uhh... idk
Can we see the new mechanism if you made any changes? We'd most likely be happy to give you feedback on how the cube might perform based on that!

Sion

Polished plastic would probably be best, since, well uhh... idk
Can we see the new mechanism if you made any changes? We'd most likely be happy to give you feedback on how the cube might perform based on that!
If this cube were as similar as comparing the yuexiao to the valk, sure.

This cube is completely something we haven't seen yet. Kind of like comparing an Alpha V to the GuHong.

*if* a more polished prototype worked, I'm very sure a company would look at the images and run with them.

I would like the cube to come to fruition first.

Sion

Random thought: Should the 3s1 have the octagon caps, or the perfectly smooth caps?

Also, should I make the centers of the 3s1 rounder than those of the 3v1?

If you find a way to reduce catching with octagon caps, go for it. If you want to save time since it's a budget cube, definitely go for the smooth caps.
And maybe don't make it as big. It's a budget cube, it should be a little worse than the more high end speedcubes.
But don't just take my opinion. Go with whatever you think is good :)

Sion

Alright. so I am playing with the iteration two prototype, which consists of 3s1 corners and centers and iteration 3 3v1 edges (the iteration one edge is the 3s1 edge, the iteration two edge is identical to the iteration 3 edge)

-fast *very fast* Iteration one/3s1 edges have more surface contact than Iteration three/3v1 edges. likewise, 3v1 corners have more surface contact than 3s1 corners.
- tactile
-not exactly smooth because it is a 3d print, but very much speedcubable.

I can't wait to print through shapeways with the next iteration! It will give me a better idea of the calibur of the puzzle I am releasing.

I just switched to yan 3 springs for iteration 2 testing. corner cutting is past 45, reverse one cubie. For a 3d print, wow.

Edit: might of accidentally given out a motive for releasing the 3s1. Can you figure it out?

Alright. so I am playing with the iteration two prototype, which consists of 3s1 corners and centers and iteration 3 3v1 edges (the iteration one edge is the 3s1 edge, the iteration two edge is identical to the iteration 3 edge)

-fast *very fast* Iteration one/3s1 edges have more surface contact than Iteration three/3v1 edges. likewise, 3v1 corners have more surface contact than 3s1 corners.
- tactile
-not exactly smooth because it is a 3d print, but very much speedcubable.

I can't wait to print through shapeways with the next iteration! It will give me a better idea of the calibur of the puzzle I am releasing.

I just switched to yan 3 springs for iteration 2 testing. corner cutting is past 45, reverse one cubie. For a 3d print, wow.

Edit: might of accidentally given out a motive for releasing the 3s1. Can you figure it out?
Gives you a better idea of the calibur of the puzzle you're releasing?

Sion

Just a curious question:

From the hardware of the 3v1 (Now YAN 3 springs because they are significantly smoother) What magnets should I use in the 3v1? Strong or weak?

the 3v1 (iteration 2) is pretty darned fast.

Or you can just send us the files and we can print ourselves, it might be cheaper to just save up printing money for a whole printer
Also on the topic of springs: have you tried maglev yet?

Sion

Or you can just send us the files and we can print ourselves, it might be cheaper to just save up printing money for a whole printer
Also on the topic of springs: have you tried maglev yet?
The design is unique ( there are only two other cubes on the market that I can say somewhat remotely resemble the 3v1, though I won't say) And I don't exactly want it stolen if this is to be another form of income. Not just that, shapeways prints are of a higher quality print than home 3d printers, mainly due to the fact that SLS technologies don't require supports, while FDM technologies do. Supports unfortunately throw the symmetry of cubies off, leaving much to be desired in what could be considered a valid representation of a final version.

I once liked Yuexiao Pro/GTS2 springs, but the YAN 3 has much nicer springs from my testing, so the iteration 3 will most likely contain that particular spring set. Maglev isn't too exciting to be because over time, magnets lose strength, and the fact there are magnets repelling, a cube could be much less stable and floppy.

Want to hide this ad and support the community?