• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tempest 3V1 Development Thread (2016 Model leaked)

Who Should Tempest Work With on Mass Manufacturing?

• MoYu

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • QiYi

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • GAN

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yuxin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • FangShi

• ShengShou

• Dayan

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Independent Company

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Max Cruz

Absolutely agreed. I am just focusing on feel and fluidity at this point, as most people care about that more than it can cut full round (if you seriously need that much cutting, please slow down.)

Also, is there anyone willing to just show me how to do certain things on blender in regards to modeling the cube? I used the knowledge I learned on my own accord to get rough stuff, but many of the specifics are hard to trace. I could find out how to do trickier tasks on my own if really needed; I will be able to complete the project faster if someone could show me first hand how to do certain functions vital to a fully functioning speedcube.

I do have a ton of school assignments, so the speed at which I am getting things done is rather slow (not saying nobody else has less work than myself.) I just feel if someone with more experience just mentored me a little further on how to do stuff, I could get prototypes out faster.

No, I'm not in desperate need of help or the cube will never be released, I'm just saying I would like to waste less time and be more efficient so I can get this cube out, and still have ample time to do school assignments.

Google is your friend.

Sion

Google is your friend.

Hahaha. I do agree. It's actually the reason why I got as far as I did when it comes to designing on my own (I didn't know about the Boolean effect or razor skills, and now I spam them.)

The reason why I would like someone to teach me is because there are many specific tasks I don't exactly know how to word properly, it makes me lose unnecessary time trying to find stuff that I just find to be overly specific.

Also, this is more personal, I benefit better when I see it being walked through with someone else, because I tend to ask tons and tons of questions to get an understanding of what I'm doing, and how to do it. I know how to describe what I want to do with images and cube hardware, but I can barely put it into words.

Trust me, if I had more time, I would use google more. However, I feel personally that I'm spending too much time trying to find stuff, and the result is wasted time.

Sion

Well, I kind of hit a roadblock: YJ has come out with a new cube prototype which is 75 percent of my concepts. I'm not going to want or tirade, but I want to congratulate YJ on beating me to it. It is essentially my cube ideas cross yuexiao pro. However, I do note there are things in their edge that could cause some qiyi sail-style m cut pops.

That said, I am going to switch stuff up in my design to make it more original, such as more V-tracks and maybe some areated parts (you'll get it.) I may ditch the conical corner, though not sure. All I will say, the tempest of 2018 is many times different from the tempest of 2016. Because of how much the tempest has changed, I'm going to refer it to as the Tempest 3V1 3x3.

I am also considering building a new team to expidite the design process, if anyone with knowledge on 3d software or to share ideas more closely. Can't seem to work it out myself, nor do I have the budget.

Last edited:

Sion

The puzzle will be done by the end of 2018.

I have recently came into contact with cube and puzzle designer NKCubed regarding cube designing and the puzzle I've been trying to release for the past two years. He responded, and he said he was glad to help.

Tempest by S-0 cube designs is now a sub brand of nice rubric! Since we both have great ideas for puzzles and our own design strategies (me being pencil-paper, him being CAD) can release many good cubes that we hope can have a positive impact on the community.

I'm sure I'll be able to have the tempest out awfully soon now. Major development within the Tempest by S-0 name, and the 3V1.

Now... how is everyone thinking about a 2M1? ;)

Sion

Oh, forgot to mention: I decided to give my puzzle line a more mainstream naming system.
First character: cube Layer number or side event. A 3x3 would start with 3, 2x2 with 2, so on so forth. A pyraminx would start with p, megaminx with m, Skewb with S, Square one with Q, and clock with C.

Second letter: Series number. Tempest By S-0 wants to make a cube for everyone. So we will have different series of cubes designed for different purposes performance wise. For instance, the 3x3 will be of the Versatile series, or well rounded cubes made in the name of being well all rounder cubes with superior performance. The 2x2 is in the "mass" series, focused on cubers who like heavier puzzles with centralised weight.

The final letter is the version number, denoting a version number. This is what denotes if a puzzle is a successor or predecessor to another puzzle in the series. So 3V1 means it's the first version of the versatile series 3x3.

I hope you found this little tidbit interesting :D

I_<3_SCS

Oh, forgot to mention: I decided to give my puzzle line a more mainstream naming system.
First character: cube Layer number or side event. A 3x3 would start with 3, 2x2 with 2, so on so forth. A pyraminx would start with p, megaminx with m, Skewb with S, Square one with Q, and clock with C.

Second letter: Series number. Tempest By S-0 wants to make a cube for everyone. So we will have different series of cubes designed for different purposes performance wise. For instance, the 3x3 will be of the Versatile series, or well rounded cubes made in the name of being well all rounder cubes with superior performance. The 2x2 is in the "mass" series, focused on cubers who like heavier puzzles with centralised weight.

The final letter is the version number, denoting a version number. This is what denotes if a puzzle is a successor or predecessor to another puzzle in the series. So 3V1 means it's the first version of the versatile series 3x3.

I hope you found this little tidbit interesting :D

I don't know if I like this... It's not epic like the Chinese cube names.

When is the 19M1 coming out?

Sion

It only took a couple days with NKCubed..

tempest_3v1_by_xxsionthehedgehogxx-dc2lnhi.png

Tempest by S-0 3V1. Unofficial successor to the 3V0 (2016 prototype)

Sion

I would love your opinions on the exterior of the 3v1 compared to the 2016 prototype :D

Sion

GREAT NEWS.

I went to the teacher in charge of 3d printing and my school, and he is allowing me to print the prototype! I will have it by the end of this week and probably set up next week.

I will set it up with Mojue M3 Hardware and printed in PLA from an FDM 3D printer. If there are any suggestions for how I should break it in, please don't hesitate to let me know. I really want to get this puzzle out soon.

I'll also make a long needed YouTube video of an update as well.

Sion

oh yes: update!

I'm considering starting a crowdfund so I will be able to purchase a 3d printer for myself. I would try to raise roughly five thousand dollars to get a DLP 3D Printer, and Some resin as well, including some extra money on the side for extra resins or repair material. If anyone is willing, or knows someone willing, to get me to around 5,000 dollars USD so I can do this, let me know.

Rewards will include a mass produced version of the 3v1 (if it happens,) or if you pay more, Prototype updates as they come along. I've yet to decide in the denominations or a deadline.

Sion

Its worth a try!

I also saw your question earlier; I'm not offended; don't worry.

I think they may be interested with the general logic I have with the internals, and the fact if borrows aspects from multiple generations of speecubes. My goal is effortless and smooth, but controllable and easy to handle.

If anyone knows how to contact certain puzzle manufacturers, please let me know. I'm willing to share my designs.