• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SwissOpen - LIVE RESULTS

Kenny

WCA
2008SCHM01
How come that Olivér posted this on our forum then? (concerning Galanta Open)

"Ron jelezte, hogy az új szabályzat szerint kell versenyeznünk! (de még egyeztet a többi WCA taggal.)"

"Ron gave me the heads-up that we will have to compete according to the new regs! (but he's still checking with other WCA members)"

I don't think that the others could or, as a matter of fact, would have talked him "out of it".

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ron said:
http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=544#p3602:

Yes WCA Regulations 2009 are not in place yet. Sorry.
I hope they will be finalised for next weekend.

Clément used the WCA database to post live results. These results are not official yet.
We will decide on the results of the 6x6 and 7x7 events (new events) and of the Clock and Square-1 (average of 5).

Thanks,

Ron

I brought this up on the WCA forum. The 2009 regulations, according to Ron, are NOT in effect. He also said he contacted Clement today about it.

I think the problem was with getting the entire board to OK it. It was definitely planned for the new regs to be official, but it just didn't get done. I don't think it was that the others "talked him out of it", but rather a time thing.

Last edited:

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
edit: i read the wca forum and i don't think there is any real debate. the rules weren't updated on the wca site and, as such, cannot be the rules we use. i sincerely hope they have it ready for next week, though.

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Times should not be uploaded into the database until the round is finished, and they should definitely not be uploaded into the database if they are not official. I don't care if Clement was one of the people to make the database work, putting unofficial times into the official database is always wrong. The WCA regulations have not been accepted yet and have not been put on the WCA page, and thus we are still using the 2008 regulations, which means the 6x6 times are unofficial.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not really. They are still not official formats - just as 6x6 is not an official event (yet). In a sense, they also now have world records for that format, even though it isn't listed as such.

False. Read the regulations sometime. They have changed the rules of Clock, but it is still Clock, which means that regional records will stay where they are until someone beats them with an average of 5. Unless we see someone get a sub-8.60 average on clock (which we don't), we do not have "world records for that format". On the other hand, 6x6 is a new event, and thus the fastest time the first day an official 6x6 round is held will be a world record. But the 6x6 times achieved at Swiss Open are NOT world records. They are not even official.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Not really. They are still not official formats - just as 6x6 is not an official event (yet). In a sense, they also now have world records for that format, even though it isn't listed as such.

False. Read the regulations sometime. They have changed the rules of Clock, but it is still Clock, which means that regional records will stay where they are until someone beats them with an average of 5. Unless we see someone get a sub-8.60 average on clock (which we don't), we do not have "world records for that format". On the other hand, 6x6 is a new event, and thus the fastest time the first day an official 6x6 round is held will be a world record. But the 6x6 times achieved at Swiss Open are NOT world records. They are not even official.

WCA Regulations said:
9b) Official speed solving events and formats of WCA are: Event Possible formats Preferred format for finals
Rubik's Cube 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
2x2x2 Cube 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
4x4x4 Cube 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
5x5x5 Cube 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
Clock 'Best of x', 'Mean of 3' 'Mean of 3'
Magic 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
Master Magic 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
Megaminx 'Best of x', 'Mean of 3' 'Mean of 3'
Pyraminx 'Best of x', 'Average of 5' 'Average of 5'
Square-1 'Best of x', 'Mean of 3' 'Mean of 3'

No, an avg of 5 is not yet official. And yes, those are world records in that specific format for clock/sq1 now... they just happen to be thrown in there with the mean of 3 results. It is still a different (unofficial!) format.

Either way, the unofficial times for 6x6 (and clock/sq1) should be removed from the database - talk to Ron or someone about that.

Last edited:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, an avg of 5 is not yet official. And yes, those are world records in that specific format for clock/sq1 now... they just happen to be thrown in there with the mean of 3 results. It is still a different (unofficial!) format.

That is not how world records work. There are no world records in a "specific format", there is just 'single' and 'average'. The avg5 records are not just "thrown in there with the mean of 3 results", either - every average record, personal or regional, will stay a mean of 3 until it is beaten by an average of 5. This is how they did it for 4x4, 5x5, and OH when they turned from mean of 3 into average of 5, and if you look carefully you can still find a handful of mean of 3 personal records in the database for those events.