• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Survey: Christmas and Religion

Specs112

WCA
2011ANDE03
Entire family is atheist but celebrated just because, went most of my life without knowing it was supposed to be religious.

Submitted.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
14 year old Roman Catholic who celebrates christmas.

Hope to see the results, and it sounds like an awesome paper :) Wish we got to do stuff like that in our school. And I go to a catholic school XD.

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
Religion spoils Christmas.
Not mine.

Assuming you are interested in peoples opinions on the matter since you are doing this research, here's my two cents. Feel free to ignore :)

I'm not well read on the history of the gift giving phenomenon that occurs at that time of year, or why it coincides with Christmas, but what we really have are two different occurrences in tandem erroneously being called the same thing. The very act of coupling them together takes away from the religious aspect of that time of year. Personally I'm an agnostic atheist, but I think it's a bit sad that an important religious event should be diluted by such mundane things as a world wide commercial orgy (inb4 "CHRISTMAS ISN'T UBIQUITOUS HURR DURR" you know what I mean). Its nice to have an event that brings family and friends together in a moment of appreciation, but I think that the exclusivity of the religious and family/commercial/derp aspect is really a moot point.

Specs112

WCA
2011ANDE03
Did you read the part of his post that said "for everyone that isn't religious"?

Because that's the part that makes your argument invalid.