• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Suggestions for starting a cube shop?

WCA
2012BASK02
OLD POST:
I have recently invented a method of lubricating (mainly DaYan) cubes that is really amazing. I have tried this on my friend's and my Zhanchi and Guhong. The Zhanchi especially is amazing. It can corner cut two cubies(the end of the 45 degree edge, if you get what I mean), and reverse corner cut one! That means that there is no room to ever get a lockup(unless you wedge your finger in between the corner and edge or something like that). Okay, so now I can relieve you of the really annoying(it probably is to you :p)over-advertizing.

I was thinking of selling cubes lubed like this for a couple dollars higher than the plain cube itself(please do not scream at me for making a lubix-like thingy). These prices may go down in the future if this is successful. I am selling:

-lubed Guhong $14
-lubed Lunhui $17
-lubed Lingyun $14*
-lubed Zhanchi $18
-lubed Guhong V2 $16
-lubed LingYun V2 $18
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Guhong $17
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Lunhui $20
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Lingyun $16*
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Zhanchi $19
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Guhong V2 $19
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded LingYun V2 $21

Colored versions are available too. You need to request one though.
Also, if you want the 24 point corner mod done, also specially request.

For now I would like any feedback on my idea, suggestions, better ideas, posts that say that you really really want one, etc.

*I finally found a cheap place for the lingyun close to me

END OF OLD POST

This shop will soon be open: If you "pre-order"(send me a private message of what cube you want) then one will be ready for you within one week of the opening of the store, instead of you having to wait up to 2 weeks for the order to ship. (that will most probably be how it will be when it opens) you can pre order without paying, and pay only when your cube is ready and you want it shipped.

When the shop is open, the way it will work is:
1.you order cube
2.you pay(unless it is a pre order)
3.I super-ify the cube
4.I notify you
5.if pre order, you pay
6.I ship.

Just as in the old post, here are the items for order:

-lubed Guhong $14
-lubed Lunhui $17
-lubed Lingyun $14
-lubed Zhanchi $18
-lubed Guhong V2 $16
-lubed LingYun V2 $18
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Guhong $17
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Lunhui $20
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Lingyun $16
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Zhanchi $19
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded Guhong V2 $19
-lubed & 48 point edge-modded LingYun V2 $21

SPECIAL SALE(pre orders only):
Dayan Taiyan Lubed $10
Dayan Taiyan lubed and 48 point edge-modded $11
Dayan Megaminx Lubed $25
Lubed Fangcun Cube $13

Last edited:

RaresB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BOST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1 dollar to do a 48 point edge mod sounds quite low to me but than again depends how fast you do it . Some videos would be nice, and maybe giving a cube to a youtuber for their opinion.

WCA
2012BASK02
The problem with the YouTuber opinion is that I haven't got enough to buy lube and mod another cube and my cube is, well, mine. I will be re-lubing my cube the RIGHT way, it was the first one I did, and making a video of that probably tomorrow. Also, for the name, how about the "Flame Cube"? I LOVE FIRE AND KNIVES

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand why you need to buy more lube. You said you are re-lubing your own cube which means you have lube on hand already. You ARE talking about money, no? If you don't have a cube on hand you can mod and you don't have enough to buy at least one cube, I'd say you're going to have a tough time starting a shop...

WCA
2012BASK02
That is interesting I want to buy lube guhong in the future
At the moment you can place pre-orders.
Although I have no experience running a cube shop, I highly doubt 30$ a month to buy cubes would keep you running for very long.
I have plans:) don't worry about my money, I want feedback on the idea and when I post a video, the cubes.

Last edited:

balloon6610

Well i can't order any cube right now or my parent will kill me if i did :p I must wait for christmas so i can buy a new cube. Hope you can open your store by then :)

(Sorry for my bad english too :p)

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a tip:

Find a good balance between Quality and Quantity. At first you might spend a lot of time modding and lubing. As orders increase you will have less time doing all of the dirty work others won't do (wink). You might want to get cubes that are both assembled and DIY. Assembled cubes will save you time but there's a higher chance they aren't what you like. Also get extra cores... you'll see why...

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
$30 a month is NOT going to cut it to run a small business. You need WAY more than that to stock even at wholesale prices.
Also, how long does it take you to do the 48 point mods? Your pricing right now seems really....cheap....

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
...it takes you 2 whole hours just to lube a cube?

Manual labor even at minimum wage is 7.25....and the price of one of these is like $13 bucks standard...so we're talking about really cheap manual labor.

And why are your lubed Lingyuns so much money?

WCA
2012BASK02
...it takes you 2 whole hours just to lube a cube?

Manual labor even at minimum wage is 7.25....and the price of one of these is like $13 bucks standard...so we're talking about really cheap manual labor.

And why are your lubed Lingyuns so much money?

It's my own manual labor. My method for lubing cubes has very very good results, but the process to do that is very painstaking and it takes a while. The lingyuns are so much money because the place I buy them from charges a lot for the lingyuns for some reason. If there is a place you recommend to buy cubes from for cheaper, please tell me.

Good news for everyone, my video should be on within two hours.

And, 4 hours later...

[video=youtube_share;o5rwz4B6tg4]http://youtu.be/o5rwz4B6tg4[/video]

Last edited:

musicninja17

WCA
2010FISK01
I understand that, but that means you're not making a lot of money for the time spent on that. Time does have a value. If you really don't mind all that for not a lot of money, by all means, go ahead.