• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Suggestion: Cubing Journals subforum?

M4rQu5

How about if there was a subforum for everyone to post their own cubing progression? One could link their "journal" to their signature where all personal bests and stuff would be listed.
It could also be blog-ish, having write-ups of competitions and meetups.
Am I just head in the clouds or is this considerable?

mycube

WCA
2011FRES01
I think it is a great idea. but if you have all the new threads about the cubing journals at the ´recent threads´ list you can´t see anything anymore. so like rickcube sad it have to be separated

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's a bad idea. 99.9% of people would not have their own journal looked at by anyone else, so why not just keep your own personal journal and not waste forum space on it? The people that would have their journal read probably already have their own website anyway.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I didn't realize people would like this. It actually wouldn't be too difficult for me to create a section of the site for "member blogs", where any member can write a post (such as a competition review, or an article on a puzzle, or a guide), and all of those would appear as a Speedsolving.com Members Blog. Basically, it would be a blog written by the members. However, if I did this, we'd need to approve articles, because only quality, well-thought out articles would be published. We wouldn't want to publish a log of peoples times, but instead publish stuff people are interested in reading.

Does this sound like something you guys would be interested in? I think it could provide some good insight into competitions and puzzles, and allow essentially anyone to write some quality content that would be available to the thousands of people that visit here each day.

chrissyD

WCA
2009DICK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't realize people would like this. It actually wouldn't be too difficult for me to create a section of the site for "member blogs", where any member can write a post (such as a competition review, or an article on a puzzle, or a guide), and all of those would appear as a Speedsolving.com Members Blog. Basically, it would be a blog written by the members. However, if I did this, we'd need to approve articles, because only quality, well-thought out articles would be published. We wouldn't want to publish a log of peoples times, but instead publish stuff people are interested in reading.

Does this sound like something you guys would be interested in? I think it could provide some good insight into competitions and puzzles, and allow essentially anyone to write some quality content that would be available to the thousands of people that visit here each day.

A small online game I used to play did a weekly or monthly newspaper style section. Certain people were assigned the job of writing and putting together the articles (Not me I did the podcast section :p). It was really successful and a lot of the players read it. I think each person having their own blog would be a bit much though. I mean who is seriously interested in my progress?

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A small online game I used to play did a weekly or monthly newspaper style section. Certain people were assigned the job of writing and putting together the articles (Not me I did the podcast section :p). It was really successful and a lot of the players read it. I think each person having their own blog would be a bit much though. I mean who is seriously interested in my progress?
good idea chriss

why not make into more of a weekly update : that way people could do a reveiw of a comps ,meet up ,latest cubes etc

cubersmith

WCA
2011SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's a bad idea. 99.9% of people would not have their own journal looked at by anyone else, so why not just keep your own personal journal and not waste forum space on it? The people that would have their journal read probably already have their own website anyway.

Actually, I agree with this. We are starting tondo things on the forum for no reason. I mean other than maybe 1 or 2 friends, who is interested in your progress and PB's. Having it in your sig is quite enough. I quite enjoy keeping a list of all my PB's to myself. I don't see why we have to publicise it.

EDIT: Just read some of the more recent posts on this, Blake's idea seems interesting. We could have a kind of 'news' section where you could post things and a mod could mod it, i.e. capitalise and punctuate it :p

Last edited:

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think this is a great idea.