• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sub 20 seems to be impossible...

Tiw

The thread name says all.
My average is for 3 months between 21 and 25 seconds and I don't become better.
Is this still normal? I practise about 1 hour a day.
What can I do? Please help me!

Last edited:

enigmahack

WCA
2009CHAM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been experiencing the exact same issue, but I've recently gotten a sub-20 average of 5. *Not consistantly, but I'm getting close with practice*

Here's basically what you need to do:

Read Chris's post in this thread:

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12695&page=2

It wasn't easy to find with search, so I can understand if you couldn't find it... Overall though I've been doing exactly what Chris has said there, and my times have dropped around 3 seconds in average in roughly a week.

Really take his advice to heart and actually PRACTICE it. Don't just read it and know that he said it and just keep doing what you've been doing.
Actually do what he says. It'll help.

gpt_kibutz

I have the same situation, I have done average of 5 sub 20, but the average -12 keeps eluding me. I think it is because i get nervous. In fact, my average 12 is not lower than 21, and my average-5 is always between 20-21

D

Deleted member 2864

keep on practicing, I'm just crossing sub 20 (wiggling between averages of 19-22 at the very worst). You'll get there.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took me a while to get sub 20.

I just woke up one day and was averaging 18s.
Just don't worry too much, and keep practicing, and it will come soon enough.

Tiw

Thank you very much, it is nice to see that many persons have the same problems^^
Special thanks to enigmahack! I felt very appealed of chris' VERY useful tips!

"If you're stuck in the low 20's I guarantee that you solve F2L too quickly to look ahead."

--> Damn...he's right...I tried to observe my solves, and it's true, I can't see the piecesevery time...This is probably the most important sentense!

lotsofsocks

Im im stuck there to but i started looking ahead more and increase my speed and now i get sub 20 all the time.. i just time myslef and got a 16.22

Shamah02

WCA
2009TAYL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub 20 is a very tough barrier, but it really is all just look-ahead. Watch this slow solving video of Harris Chan. He easily gets sub 20, better yet, sub 15:)

This vid always inspires me because I'm trying to break the sub 15 barrier, which is also VERY tough!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiw

I hope you are right! Now I try to turn the cube slower, the times are not much better but the solves in general are much more smoother :cool:
I think I'm on the right way.
It looks incredible how slow Harris turns the cube...and he makes still so good times!

DAE_JA_VOO

I've been stuck at the SAME position for a few months now. I just can't break sub 20. I'm not worried though, as I know I could practice harder, and I don't know all the OLLs yet either.

Is it necessary for me to go ahead and learn all the rest of the OLLs that I don't know yet?

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can't insist on steady, never wavering progress. My improvements have more or less been major drop offs than anything. Most recently I was stuck in the 17's for about 3 months, and then I actually stopped practicing 3 speed more than like 12 solves a day, and I dropped into the consistent 16's now. This happened over night as well.

enigmahack

WCA
2009CHAM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's hard when you get faster because then it all comes down to personal technique, etc...

It's really like any art form though. Once you get to a certain level, it starts to come down to what works for you. To a certain degree, certain things will work for just about everyone.

What really makes people stand apart is their ability to make it their own.

That's why you see some solvers like Dan Harris who looks like he doesn't turn super fast, but he's a very fast solver. Then there are others who LOOK like they're blazing fast (Macky comes to mind) and solve fast as well.

The point is that each has their own style, finding what works for themselves and applying it.

But yes - to a certain degree, there are some generic things that will help you get there. More OLL's help, but again I've seen it done where people get sub-20 averages with 3LLL *2Look OLL, 1 look PLL*

Again - it's all about what works for you personally :)

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been stuck at the SAME position for a few months now. I just can't break sub 20. I'm not worried though, as I know I could practice harder, and I don't know all the OLLs yet either.

Is it necessary for me to go ahead and learn all the rest of the OLLs that I don't know yet?

It is definitely not necessary to learn all the OLLs to be sub 20. However, it could help and it's certainly something worth doing. I don't think learning all 57 olls v. knowing 9 is much more than a second or two different.

sru

YouTube
Visit Channel
i'm stuck in about 30s avg for 2 months. I don't see nice future actually and don't know what to do anymore. Btw i do 2-look oll and full pll.

I'm trying to do slow f2l with no pauses when i practice, but that's too slow for real solving. When i'm solving i do f2l faster, but i can't look ahead never (i just can't see) .. and so on and so on ... I'm really confused.

DAE_JA_VOO

It is definitely not necessary to learn all the OLLs to be sub 20. However, it could help and it's certainly something worth doing. I don't think learning all 57 olls v. knowing 9 is much more than a second or two different.

Yeah, totally. Thanks man :D

i'm stuck in about 30s avg for 2 months. I don't see nice future actually and don't know what to do anymore. Btw i do 2-look oll and full pll.

I'm trying to do slow f2l with no pauses when i practice, but that's too slow for real solving. When i'm solving i do f2l faster, but i can't look ahead never (i just can't see) .. and so on and so on ... I'm really confused.
Doing slow solves isn't intended to have that solve be faster in the end. Slow solves are meant to be slow solves. By solving slow, you help your brain to look ahead, and with practice, you won't need to go slow like that anymore ;)

sru

YouTube
Visit Channel
DEA_JA_VOO and what do you recommend me to do now? becouse i'm really angry and i don't even like speed-solving more, becouse i know it will be arround 30 again.

sometimes, i get some sub-25 solves, but then some 35 again and it's 30. then i have 5 30 - 31 solves and it's the same again and again and again.

i can't understand why i can't be faster than avg30, although i'm beeing faster and faster at 2x2x2 (arround avg 6.3 atm) all the time.

Any tips please?

ps: cube=type f and i feel that the cube doesn't stop me

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
its irritating me to actually my times range from 23.29-39.51 and i cant seem to be consistently below 35 which right now is my goal...

the funniest thing about my time is 23.29 was unlucky just a really good solve my ~24 second time i had a full LL skip...