• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(3x3) Quest to Get Faster than Owen Morrison: Sub 7 average!

Are you color neutral?

• Yes

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • I'm thinking about it

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • It's not even worth it to me

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Working on it

Votes: 20 16.8%

• Total voters
Learn COLL! At your speed, you're going to want to learn the nicer ZBLLs soon as well... Finishing OLL, PLL, and then the easy LS/LL subsets like WV, COLL, and others - intuitive ZBLS cases, easy VLSs that are just F2L cancelling into OLL, etc are not a bad idea at sub 12 (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm sub 15 myself).

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn COLL! At your speed, you're going to want to learn the nicer ZBLLs soon as well... Finishing OLL, PLL, and then the easy LS/LL subsets like WV, COLL, and others - intuitive ZBLS cases, easy VLSs that are just F2L cancelling into OLL, etc are not a bad idea at sub 12 (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm sub 15 myself).
I already know full Oll and Pll. I started learning VLS and ZBLL but I think that right now, CP Recognition is the thing that is going to help me the most.
I am working on getting to sub 12 right now. I learned WV right after I finished Oll. I am going to learn COLL a few months after I finish ZBLL. Thanks for the tips and good luck on improving!!

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I already know full Oll and Pll. I started learning VLS and ZBLL but I think that right now, CP Recognition is the thing that is going to help me the most.
I am working on getting to sub 12 right now. I learned WV right after I finished Oll. I am going to learn COLL a few months after I finish ZBLL. Thanks for the tips and good luck on improving!!
What’s the point in learning COLL if you already know ZBLL?

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have only been seriously cubing since December of last year, 2019, and now, I am absolutely obsessed. I got my first cube at 9 years old in 2016, after seeing a cuber on a train in Chicago. I twisted and turned the cube for years and could only solve one side. In 2019, a month before I turned 13 one of my friends came into class with a cube and as soon as I saw that he could do it, I went straight home, and within 3 days, I could solve it faster than he could. I believe that with some more practice and some serious focus, I can make it to Sub-10 by the end of this year.

Reducing My F2L
F2L is a pretty difficult task when it comes to solving a cube using the CFOP method. My F2L is currently between 6-7 seconds. I believe that by getting it down to 6 seconds, I could definitely get to that Sub-10 area. My F2L is actually not terrible, I can get it down with some more practice, but I think the thing that I really need to improve in order to reduce my F2L is to practice stabilizing the cube. It sounds really dumb, but when you look at cubers like Seung-Hyuk Nahm and Tymon Kolasinki, you'll notice how stable the cube is and how when they rotate, they don't fumble as much as other cubers. This may be a crucial step in improving my F2L.

I'm Learning CP Recognition
At the time of me writing this, I know 10 CP Recognition cases. I believe that if you want to get you're last layer to 3 seconds or lower, you have to learn CP Recognition. The letters CP stand for "Corner Permutation". So, Corner Permutation Recognition can help you predict where you're "headlights" will be or if you will get a diagonal corner swap or an edge only swap. I have seen a huge improvement in my last layer for the few cases that I do know. I have all of my headlights on one side ( I did this by mirroring my A Perms. It's worth it.) so this is really useful. Now, this may mean that I will take slightly longer to recognize the OLL (Orientation of the Last Layer), but I can also do the PLL (Permutation of the Last Layer) a little faster because I have narrowed down the type of case that I can get.

Optimizing Color Neutrality
I became Color Neutral (solving on every color) when I was averaging around 23-25 seconds and it really helped. I think that if you are looking for more consistent solves, you really need to become color neutral. I am able to predict my first pair in inspection every solve and, yesterday, I got 2 solves that had a different color crosses ENTIRELY SOLVED. And the funny thing is, it wasn't on white or yellow, which is why it pays to be color neutral. That brings the total amount of cross solved scrambles that I have had in the 9 months that I have been cubing to 5. 2 of them happened when I was still only solving on white. And let's think about this, if YuSheng Du hadn't been color neutral, do you think that he would've ever even thought about his 3.47 World Record solve on red? No, simple as that. I got my first 8 second solve today on BLUE cross. I had a easy scramble. In one of my YouTube video, I reconstructed a solve that I was able to create an easy X-Cross on BECAUSE I am Color Neutral. It might just be a little thing that I am taking too far, but i believe that if you take just a little bit of time out of your normal practicing, you will see an improvement in your solves by becoming Color Neutral (depending on what you already average. If you are Sub 7 with only white and yellow, stick to white and yellow. The faster you are, the harder it is to become Color Neutral.)

Staying Motivated and Continuing with the Practice
I would say that I practice, on average, about 6-7 hours a day. But it isn't just mindless practice. I have a goal that I have set for myself: get to Sub-10 by the end of the year. I know what I am supposed to be improving on and I am focused on that specific task. About 2 hours of my practice is dedicated to making sure that I have my CP Recognition cases memorized and help me make sure that I can use them in a solve with no problem. I know how I am supposed to be practicing in order to improve my F2L look ahead and increase my turn speed. And one of the reasons that I am able to do this is by staying motivated. One thing that I think that every serious cuber should do is keep a notebook and document their progress. I started doing this May 15th of this year and I have been doing it ever since, I think that this really just allows me to stay focused on what I need to be working on. I set up challenges in order to keep myself motivated and focused, which is what this whole thing is about. Which is why I believe that I WILL hit my goal of being Sub-10 by the end of the year.

Thank you
I would just like to thank you all for reading this post. This seems kinda like a Jayden McNeil ramble, but I love Jayden McNeil, so this is perfect. Pleas subscribe to my YouTube channel and let me know what more you would like to see from me.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQY-rU5aTQfdEUGv68zJ3Wg (Cubing For Life)
PB sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/..
Track my sessions here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Much love,

Ishmael
This seems like a ton of work, try not to get burnt out (speaking from experience)

Humble Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree that burnout is probably the fastest way to lose interest. When you force yourself to practice to "Get Good" and don't enjoy it, then maybe you should relax and have a little fun.
I completely agree, I pushed myself WAY to far into cubing and ended up taking a break for a little over a year, its best just to pace yourself rather than going nuts and doing everything at once.

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I completely agree, I pushed myself WAY to far into cubing and ended up taking a break for a little over a year, its best just to pace yourself rather than going nuts and doing everything at once.
I did something similar with square-1. I haven't done a ton of solves recently but I'm planning to get back into it soon. I don't have any competitions until western champs 2021 so I'm cool with taking a break but I definitely shouldn't have tried to force myself to learn that many algs and csp cases.

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems like a ton of work, try not to get burnt out (speaking from experience)
I enjoy the hard work. I feel like it gives me something to work towards and enjoy

What’s the point in learning COLL if you already know ZBLL?
I stopped learning ZBLL. I'm still thinking about just doing a few COLLs for the H cases but then doing ZBLL for the other ones

I'm not forcing myself to practice though. I truly enjoy it

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
So @FishyIshy I have a question: Do you go to school? I am just asking because I don't know how a school age person, even if they were homeschooled or online, could practice 6-7 hours a day during the school year without staying up all night. Just wondered.
I do online school. I have a lot of time on my hands because I'm a morning person and wake up at 4 AM like everyday

Thanks for that lol

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
So @FishyIshy I have a question: Do you go to school? I am just asking because I don't know how a school age person, even if they were homeschooled or online, could practice 6-7 hours a day during the school year without staying up all night. Just wondered.
i finish my online school at 2 pm and finsish all my homework in 3 pm normally, then i spend the rest of the day cubing, and i sleep at 10 pm so that means 7 hours cubing for me lololol

Skewb_Cube

i finish my online school at 2 pm and finsish all my homework in 3 pm normally, then i spend the rest of the day cubing, and i sleep at 10 pm so that means 7 hours cubing for me lololol

Wow, if it's seven hours a day, then you practice the amount of the time I practice in a week.

I just posted a new video for all of you who want to see it. Her you go

Nice video, you were timing how much time you take to do all the PLLs, right?

Last edited:
Z

Zubin Park

Wow. I double major so I have med classes from 3-12 then I have music from 1-9. Not too much time in between lol