• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

(3x3) Quest to Get Faster than Owen Morrison: Sub 7 average!

Are you color neutral?

• Yes

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 31.1%
  • I'm thinking about it

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • It's not even worth it to me

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Working on it

Votes: 20 16.8%

• Total voters

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
You guys watched me go from Sub 15 all the way down to Sub 10. It has been a wonderful journey. And even better: it only took me a year to get to where I am now. Well, now it's time for an even bigger challenge: getting faster than Owen. Owen, if you're reading this; we all love you. But, you are closer to my age than Micah, so I feel like I am worthy of challenging you. I currently average 9.5-9.6. I already know that he's sub 9.5, so I've got some work to do.

Thank you guys for all of your support. I am really happy to share this experience with you. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQY-rU5aTQfdEUGv68zJ3Wg (Cubing For Life)
PB sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/..
Track my sessions here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Much love,

Ishmael

Last edited:

Nir1213

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have only been seriously cubing since December of last year, 2019, and now, I am absolutely obsessed. I got my first cube at 9 years old in 2016, after seeing a cuber on a train in Chicago. I twisted and turned the cube for years and could only solve one side. In 2019, a month before I turned 13 one of my friends came into class with a cube and as soon as I saw that he could do it, I went straight home, and within 3 days, I could solve it faster than he could. I believe that with some more practice and some serious focus, I can make it to Sub-10 by the end of this year.

Reducing My F2L
F2L is a pretty difficult task when it comes to solving a cube using the CFOP method. My F2L is currently between 6-7 seconds. I believe that by getting it down to 6 seconds, I could definitely get to that Sub-10 area. My F2L is actually not terrible, I can get it down with some more practice, but I think the thing that I really need to improve in order to reduce my F2L is to practice stabilizing the cube. It sounds really dumb, but when you look at cubers like Seung-Hyuk Nahm and Tymon Kolasinki, you'll notice how stable the cube is and how when they rotate, they don't fumble as much as other cubers. This may be a crucial step in improving my F2L.

I'm Learning CP Recognition
At the time of me writing this, I know 10 CP Recognition cases. I believe that if you want to get you're last layer to 3 seconds or lower, you have to learn CP Recognition. The letters CP stand for "Corner Permutation". So, Corner Permutation Recognition can help you predict where you're "headlights" will be or if you will get a diagonal corner swap or an edge only swap. I have seen a huge improvement in my last layer for the few cases that I do know. I have all of my headlights on one side ( I did this by mirroring my A Perms. It's worth it.) so this is really useful. Now, this may mean that I will take slightly longer to recognize the OLL (Orientation of the Last Layer), but I can also do the PLL (Permutation of the Last Layer) a little faster because I have narrowed down the type of case that I can get.

Optimizing Color Neutrality
I became Color Neutral (solving on every color) when I was averaging around 23-25 seconds and it really helped. I think that if you are looking for more consistent solves, you really need to become color neutral. I am able to predict my first pair in inspection every solve and, yesterday, I got 2 solves that had a different color crosses ENTIRELY SOLVED. And the funny thing is, it wasn't on white or yellow, which is why it pays to be color neutral. That brings the total amount of cross solved scrambles that I have had in the 9 months that I have been cubing to 5. 2 of them happened when I was still only solving on white. And let's think about this, if YuSheng Du hadn't been color neutral, do you think that he would've ever even thought about his 3.47 World Record solve on red? No, simple as that. I got my first 8 second solve today on BLUE cross. I had a easy scramble. In one of my YouTube video, I reconstructed a solve that I was able to create an easy X-Cross on BECAUSE I am Color Neutral. It might just be a little thing that I am taking too far, but i believe that if you take just a little bit of time out of your normal practicing, you will see an improvement in your solves by becoming Color Neutral (depending on what you already average. If you are Sub 7 with only white and yellow, stick to white and yellow. The faster you are, the harder it is to become Color Neutral.)

Staying Motivated and Continuing with the Practice
I would say that I practice, on average, about 6-7 hours a day. But it isn't just mindless practice. I have a goal that I have set for myself: get to Sub-10 by the end of the year. I know what I am supposed to be improving on and I am focused on that specific task. About 2 hours of my practice is dedicated to making sure that I have my CP Recognition cases memorized and help me make sure that I can use them in a solve with no problem. I know how I am supposed to be practicing in order to improve my F2L look ahead and increase my turn speed. And one of the reasons that I am able to do this is by staying motivated. One thing that I think that every serious cuber should do is keep a notebook and document their progress. I started doing this May 15th of this year and I have been doing it ever since, I think that this really just allows me to stay focused on what I need to be working on. I set up challenges in order to keep myself motivated and focused, which is what this whole thing is about. Which is why I believe that I WILL hit my goal of being Sub-10 by the end of the year.

Thank you
I would just like to thank you all for reading this post. This seems kinda like a Jayden McNeil ramble, but I love Jayden McNeil, so this is perfect. Pleas subscribe to my YouTube channel and let me know what more you would like to see from me.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQY-rU5aTQfdEUGv68zJ3Wg?view_as=subscriber

Much love,

Ishmael
this is what we cubers call hardcore speedcubing

Skewb_Cube

I have only been seriously cubing since December of last year, 2019, and now, I am absolutely obsessed. I got my first cube at 9 years old in 2016, after seeing a cuber on a train in Chicago. I twisted and turned the cube for years and could only solve one side. In 2019, a month before I turned 13 one of my friends came into class with a cube and as soon as I saw that he could do it, I went straight home, and within 3 days, I could solve it faster than he could. I believe that with some more practice and some serious focus, I can make it to Sub-10 by the end of this year.

Reducing My F2L
F2L is a pretty difficult task when it comes to solving a cube using the CFOP method. My F2L is currently between 6-7 seconds. I believe that by getting it down to 6 seconds, I could definitely get to that Sub-10 area. My F2L is actually not terrible, I can get it down with some more practice, but I think the thing that I really need to improve in order to reduce my F2L is to practice stabilizing the cube. It sounds really dumb, but when you look at cubers like Seung-Hyuk Nahm and Tymon Kolasinki, you'll notice how stable the cube is and how when they rotate, they don't fumble as much as other cubers. This may be a crucial step in improving my F2L.

I'm Learning CP Recognition
At the time of me writing this, I know 10 CP Recognition cases. I believe that if you want to get you're last layer to 3 seconds or lower, you have to learn CP Recognition. The letters CP stand for "Corner Permutation". So, Corner Permutation Recognition can help you predict where you're "headlights" will be or if you will get a diagonal corner swap or an edge only swap. I have seen a huge improvement in my last layer for the few cases that I do know. I have all of my headlights on one side ( I did this by mirroring my A Perms. It's worth it.) so this is really useful. Now, this may mean that I will take slightly longer to recognize the OLL (Orientation of the Last Layer), but I can also do the PLL (Permutation of the Last Layer) a little faster because I have narrowed down the type of case that I can get.

Optimizing Color Neutrality
I became Color Neutral (solving on every color) when I was averaging around 23-25 seconds and it really helped. I think that if you are looking for more consistent solves, you really need to become color neutral. I am able to predict my first pair in inspection every solve and, yesterday, I got 2 solves that had a different color crosses ENTIRELY SOLVED. And the funny thing is, it wasn't on white or yellow, which is why it pays to be color neutral. That brings the total amount of cross solved scrambles that I have had in the 9 months that I have been cubing to 5. 2 of them happened when I was still only solving on white. And let's think about this, if YuSheng Du hadn't been color neutral, do you think that he would've ever even thought about his 3.47 World Record solve on red? No, simple as that. I got my first 8 second solve today on BLUE cross. I had a easy scramble. In one of my YouTube video, I reconstructed a solve that I was able to create an easy X-Cross on BECAUSE I am Color Neutral. It might just be a little thing that I am taking too far, but i believe that if you take just a little bit of time out of your normal practicing, you will see an improvement in your solves by becoming Color Neutral (depending on what you already average. If you are Sub 7 with only white and yellow, stick to white and yellow. The faster you are, the harder it is to become Color Neutral.)

Staying Motivated and Continuing with the Practice
I would say that I practice, on average, about 6-7 hours a day. But it isn't just mindless practice. I have a goal that I have set for myself: get to Sub-10 by the end of the year. I know what I am supposed to be improving on and I am focused on that specific task. About 2 hours of my practice is dedicated to making sure that I have my CP Recognition cases memorized and help me make sure that I can use them in a solve with no problem. I know how I am supposed to be practicing in order to improve my F2L look ahead and increase my turn speed. And one of the reasons that I am able to do this is by staying motivated. One thing that I think that every serious cuber should do is keep a notebook and document their progress. I started doing this May 15th of this year and I have been doing it ever since, I think that this really just allows me to stay focused on what I need to be working on. I set up challenges in order to keep myself motivated and focused, which is what this whole thing is about. Which is why I believe that I WILL hit my goal of being Sub-10 by the end of the year.

Thank you
I would just like to thank you all for reading this post. This seems kinda like a Jayden McNeil ramble, but I love Jayden McNeil, so this is perfect. Pleas subscribe to my YouTube channel and let me know what more you would like to see from me.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQY-rU5aTQfdEUGv68zJ3Wg?view_as=subscriber

Much love,

Ishmael

Nice, 6-7 hours is too much for me (I just practice 1-2 hours a day, probably less).

Also, what you are currently averaging?

Good luck! Btw, you should add an option to the poll of "Currently working on it", I'm saying this because I'm working on becoming colour neutral, and probably other people too.

Edit: I think your PB sheet and your sessions thread is just the link to enter to a google spreadsheet.

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice, 6-7 hours is too much for me (I just practice 1-2 hours a day, probably less).

Also, what you are currently averaging?

Good luck! Btw, you should add an option to the poll of "Currently working on it", I'm saying this because I'm working on becoming colour neutral, and probably other people too.

Edit: I think your PB sheet and your sessions thread is just the link to enter to a google spreadsheet.

It's 6-7 hours on average. Some days I'll cube for up to possibly 9 hours. I currently average around 11-12 seconds. And yes, it is an entry to a google spreadsheet.

this is what we cubers call hardcore speedcubing

Yessir!!

Skewb_Cube

I know how I am supposed to be practicing in order to improve my F2L look ahead and increase my turn speed. And one of the reasons that I am able to do this is by staying motivated. One thing that I think that every serious cuber should do is keep a notebook and document their progress. I started doing this May 15th of this year and I have been doing it ever since, I think that this really just allows me to stay focused on what I need to be working on. I set up challenges in order to keep myself motivated and focused, which is what this whole thing is about. Which is why I believe that I WILL hit my goal of being Sub-10 by the end of the year.

That's a good idea, and staying motivated is really a great point, because when I'm just bored and not motivated to cube, but I force myself, then my practice session wouldn't be the greatest. But ever since I actually started to interact with other cubers in this forums, I feel more motivated to cube and have more fun with cubing, and I'm improving faster since then, so I think this proves your point.

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is my first thread, and I think that this is going to be an interesting journey.

That's a good idea, and staying motivated is really a great point, because when I'm just bored and not motivated to cube, but I force myself, then my practice session wouldn't be the greatest. But ever since I actually started to interact with other cubers in this forums, I feel more motivated to cube and have more fun with cubing, and I'm improving faster since then, so I think this proves your point.

It helps a lot. Staying motivated is one of the reasons that I am able to practice for so long.

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Noice, thank you

I just destroyed my Pyraminx PB ao5. It went from 16.16 to 12.15!! What the heck!!

12 CP recognition cases memorized!! What are you guys working on and how do you think it will help you in the future?

Skewb_Cube

12 CP recognition cases memorized!! What are you guys working on and how do you think it will help you in the future?

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm working on colour neutrality, and I think it's going to help me to predict the first F2L pair due to having the ability of starting in different crosses and also be able to start from easier crosses other then white and yellow.

efattah

If you are practicing 6-7 hours per day, and at least half of that is focused drills, you will be sub-10 in an incredibly short period of time.

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
As I mentioned yesterday, I'm working on colour neutrality, and I think it's going to help me to predict the first F2L pair due to having the ability of starting in different crosses and also be able to start from easier crosses other then white and yellow.

You're doing big things lol

If you are practicing 6-7 hours per day, and at least half of that is focused drills, you will be sub-10 in an incredibly short period of time.

I sure hope so. I can see improvement but, I have to keep working to see if it will all pay off.

Skewb_Cube

I want to know how you guys stay motivated.

Well, I'm motivated to cube, but not as you to practice that much and give that much time to that, but I keep myself motivated by just remembering why I started cubing, how awesome is to be able at some point to solve a cube in less than 7 seconds on average, and also just watch some cubing videos such as "Feliks, The Greatest Speedcuber of All Time" I have watch this like 5-6 times, or just random cubing videos.

Well, and also just improving in any event, and learning new techniques, because it gives you a feeling of accomplishment after your hard work.

FishyIshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I'm motivated to cube, but not as you to practice that much and give that much time to that, but I keep myself motivated by just remembering why I started cubing, how awesome is to be able at some point to solve a cube in less than 7 seconds on average, and also just watch some cubing videos such as "Feliks, The Greatest Speedcuber of All Time" I have watch this like 5-6 times, or just random cubing videos.

Well, and also just improving in any event, and learning new techniques, because it gives you a feeling of accomplishment after your hard work.

I'm telling you, tracking your progress is THE BEST WAY to see how much you are improving and keep you motivated. I definitely recommend keeping a notebook or making a practice sheet.