• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stwert's Progression

stwert

Starting out my own progression thread to help me progress. I'm focusing on 3x3, with some 2x2 and learning 3BLD.
I've done less than 500 timed solves in total (first one was just under 6min on an old Rubik's brand). I'm doing CN CFOP with 4LLL although I've learned most of PLL so almost 3LLL.
3x3:
PB: 38.08
Ao5: 54.01
Ao100: 1.06.24

My short term goals are to be sub 1 min, and finish PLL. My longer term goals are to be sub 30, get a 3BLD success, and take my 2 boys to a comp.

stwert

I'm in a bit of a plateau slump right now. All my solves seem to be 1:00-1:10 range. I think it's to do with still being relatively new to CN. I just solve by cycling through the cross colors (ROYGB and occasionally W to keep it up). I probably won't update this thread that often cause I don't get too many opportunities to practice, what with kids and a job and things. But I'm still enjoying the cubing. Can't wait for that sub-1 Ao100.

stwert

Got a new 2x2 (stickered valk 2 m) after my mgc got accidentally twisted out of alignment.
It came very dry and with a lot of friction. The reviews on YouTube I saw like jperm were super smooth out of the box. Is that stickered vs sticker less, did they get some pro setup, or is there something wrong with mine. I added the only lube I have and it's somewhat better, but I think I should buy more kinds of lube and set it up properly. See the lubrication thread.

Anyway, I still got my first Ao100 sub 20. I can't seem to be able to turn fast and accurately, maybe cause I haven't done 2x2 in a while.

Reactions: LBr

stwert

Some more 2x2. Ao100 is now under 16.5 and new Ao5 of 11.10. I should be able to get sub15 soon and a05 under 10.

stwert

And immediately a 1:05 PB for the young'un. He says (I didn't see the solve) that if he remembered to stop the timer right away it would have been less than a minute. I told him I'd buy him a clock if he gets under a minute, so that's what he's aiming for. He'll be there in no time.

stwert

New Ao5 and Ao100 on 3x3. Still not sub 1min but Ao100 is 1:04 ish. And a new CN PB (41). And working on last PLL (Nb), so feels like progress.

stwert

My 4 year old solved a 3x3 for the first time today. I've been teaching him beginners method bit by bit for quite a while and I think today he put all the pieces together. I've bought him a YJ ZhiLong Mini as his very own speed cube as a reward, which should work well for his smaller hands (hopefully).
He's a very bright 4 year old but I think I'm a pretty good teacher too 😉

stwert

Learn ortega to get faster. it's only 12 algs but can (reputably) get you to sub 4
I am using Ortega. I'm not a fast turner and I handle the 2x2 particularly poorly. My fingertricks are terrible. If there is a good resource for Ortega fingertricks, I'd be happy to hear.

There's nothing stopping you from learning 3bld before you get fast at cfop. Learn M2/OP, I used jperm's videos.

stwert

There's nothing stopping you from learning 3bld before you get fast at cfop. Learn M2/OP, I used jperm's videos.
For sure. I've watched that vid and I've had a corners only success (looking at the letters), but I'm not focusing on it at the moment.

stwert

I've regressed somewhat due to lack of practice. But today my 6yo and I disassembled our cubes, cleaned them for the first time, lubed the cores with weight 5, pieces with silk and dnm-37, and now they feel AWESOME! It was great fun to share that part of the hobby with my kid.