• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Store bought cubes?

Alex DiTuro

Premium Member
WCA
2008DITU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I had heard that many speedcubists such as Shelly Chang and the current record holder Yu Nakajima use store bought cubes. Since I still have my old store bought cube I decided to try it out after using my DIY kit from puzzleproz for a couple months. After I lubed it up(it was already broken in) it's actually much smoother than my DIY kit! Not only that, but it's ten times more sturdier than the one from puzzleproz. The one from puzzleproz would pop even if it was only slightly misaligned. I have come to the conclusion that store bought cubes are much better quality than DIY kits.

watermelon

WCA
2007STER01
I've found that excellent times can be produced on both types of cubes, so it's really up to personal preference. By the way, Yu Nakajima set his records with a Rubiks.com DIY.

signaly

Yeah I agree somewhat. I have a store bought cube that, after was broken in and lubed works now better than any cube I've ever tried(including diy's). It also never pops. But I guess the fact that it was pretty loose but solid and could almost already cut corners right out of the package might have something to do with it. =D