• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Starting to Speedsolve

Hello! My name is Alec Windmiller and I have a Youtube channel called Alec Windmiller Cubing! My main events are 3x3 and 4x4 and I have gotten back into speed cubing after a few months of inactivity. I started learning CFOP 2 days ago and have almost memorized all of the 2 look algorithms. My current average is 45, but my PB with CFOP is 29. Any tips to become faster? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello! My name is Alec Windmiller and I have a Youtube channel called Alec Windmiller Cubing! My main events are 3x3 and 4x4 and I have gotten back into speed cubing after a few months of inactivity. I started learning CFOP 2 days ago and have almost memorized all of the 2 look algorithms. My current average is 45, but my PB with CFOP is 29. Any tips to become faster? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't know F2L yet, definitely learn it. If you already know F2L, you should start learning full PLL. Also, just keep practicing and you'll get faster and faster.

MeMiles

Look ahead is key I am not that good yet but have improved in look ahead and it has made a huge difference. Also to get better a look ahead slow down your TPS (Turns per second) to get better at look ahead. Hope this helps.

ZB2op

Look ahead is key I am not that good yet but have improved in look ahead and it has made a huge difference. Also to get better a look ahead slow down your TPS (Turns per second) to get better at look ahead. Hope this helps.
You do realise you don't need look ahead until after sub 20 let alone 45

jdh3000

Learn f2l intuitively, then learn algorithms for certain difficult f2l cases.
Eventually learn full oll/pll.... It's not too bad.

If you are going to be color neutral, it would be easier to do it now.
At least learn the opposite to your main cross.

A big thing that will help speed up your times is finger tricks. You'd be surprised how much faster an alg can be with good finger tricks such as ones that utilizes your left hand fingers more(if you're right handed)

Get your cross down to where you can do it without looking at it, this will free you up to look for your first pair. Eventually you'll be able to do cross plus 1st pair while looking for 2nd pair.

Jperm said something like if you are sub 20 your cross should be 2 seconds, sub 10 it should be 1 second.

Everything else is just practice. I think slow solving is key to becoming fast. It makes fast turns smoother without pauses later on.