• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Standardized All-WCA* Events Relay

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I've found several videos on YouTube of all WCA events relays, which I think is really cool. The problem is that FMC is scored in moves and MBLD is scored in points, so those don't really fit in a timed relay. I propose a standardized form without FMC and MBLD.

First set:
5BLD
4BLD
3BLD

Second set:
2x2 speedsolve
3x3 speedsolve
4x4 speedsolve
5x5 speedsolve
6x6 speedsolve
7x7 speedsolve
3x3 OH
3x3 with feet
Megaminx
Pyraminx
Skewb
Square-1
Clock

Third set (in case of DNF)
5BLD
4BLD
3BLD

For solo attempts you would need 2 each of the blind cubes. If it was held as a side event at a competition the first cubes could be rescrambled during the sighted solves. Order within each group is of course arbitrary, and could be changed.

A couple of quick notes:

First: it is a long-term goal of mine to be able to complete this relay, I can't do it now. I'm close on 3BLD, but I've never even attempted 4BLD or 5BLD, I don't currently own a pyraminx, skewb, or clock, and I've forgotten a couple of necessary algorithms for Square-1.

Second: if I get to name this relay, I propose calling it a Brown Cow relay.

Last edited:
U

Underwatercuber

The problem is that FMC is scored in moves and MBLD is scored in points
It’s an all events relay which is why they are in there, mbld still needs to be fast and can’t be a dnf so that is time based and fmc it’s also going to be faster to use less moves to write down (being able to get low movecount quickly)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The All WCA events relay is already a thing, and yes, it includes all events, including FMC and multiBLD. As Underwatercuber says, the goal is to be as fast as possible while having it count - multiBLD would likely be 2 cubes only (or perhaps 3, as One Wheel suggested - that's actually probably a very good idea to increase likelihood of success), and FMC the goal would be to get under the 80 move limit with a valid solve. But your idea is certainly a different relay possibility. I wouldn't call it a standardized all WCA events relay, though.

Your idea of allowing extra attempts for BLD in case of DNFs is interesting. It's kind of amusing to imagine that you might allow as many tries as are needed - it would be hilariously frustrating to be going for that final 5BLD for attempt after attempt until you finally get it right and can stop the timer! :)

I still have as a life ambition to complete a successful all events relay BLD. Fewest moves is the biggest challenge there; somewhere I posted a description of what would be required to meet WCA merged regulations for fewest moves and BLD; it's pretty ridiculous (and therefore pretty fun, from my perspective); among other things it would require that you do it essentially speedBLD style. I figured it would be a nice touch when making a video of it to have a second blindfold to pull on and off over the first one while doing the BLD events BLD. :)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
It’s an all events relay which is why they are in there, mbld still needs to be fast and can’t be a dnf so that is time based

All you need is a valid result, so while in competition a 2/2 MBLD would beat a 2/3, both are valid results. In a timed relay, for many people it would be faster to try for 2/3, in case one scramble was more difficult than the other two.

fmc it’s also going to be faster to use less moves to write down (being able to get low movecount quickly)

The fastest FMC result will be solving the cube in your left hand while writing down moves with your right (or vice versa). Again, the incentive for a quality result is not there.

Your idea of allowing extra attempts for BLD in case of DNFs is interesting. It's kind of amusing to imagine that you might allow as many tries as are needed - it would be hilariously frustrating to be going for that final 5BLD for attempt after attempt until you finally get it right and can stop the timer! :)

I was figuring that just because of scrambling that should probably be limited to 2 attempts per puzzle. The really good results would obviously be the ones with successes on the first try, but it would still be possible for somebody who is good at big blind to fail one and still have a relatively good time.

Adding WR averages (big blind singles) comes to a total of 12:04.74. All singles is 11:18.46. Sub-13:00 WR?

Last edited: