• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Square-1 Resources

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used the method from cubezone, but I already knew the method before I got one. The places I used are Dan's site here for all the algorithms that you need, and I used this wonderful tutorial here for a method on how to get cubeshape. I have learnt some more algorithms from cubezone later on. I couldn't stand the small selection that Dan uses.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned once from nerdparadise, then forgot. Later I picked it up again with cubezone.be, a few algs from jaap's site, and a lot of algs generated with jaap's wonderful optimal solver.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suggest using this resource:
http://tinyurl.com/n2vdf

Dang.. Never thought about using that. Thanks for your excellent contribution! :cool:

You're welcome. Creativity and self-esteem are also worth checking out.

Solving these puzzles isn't heart surgery. It's not hard and nobody dies if you fail. No need to give up and pile up solutions of others even before owning the puzzle, demonstrating unfathomable lack of ambition.

dougbenham

Dang.. Never thought about using that. Thanks for your excellent contribution! :cool:

Solving these puzzles isn't heart surgery. It's not hard and nobody dies if you fail. No need to give up and pile up solutions of others even before owning the puzzle, demonstrating unfathomable lack of ambition.

Why are you acting so superior? I am simply anxious to get the puzzle and understand it. There are different people in the world. Some people enjoy learning how to do the puzzle on their own and other people enjoy learning from other people's contributions.. I suppose it goes along with my stand on cheating in games. The cheating only makes the game more fun (in my opinion). Learning the solution before you even get the puzzle just makes it that much cooler when you get the puzzle (in my opinion).

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Playing with the puzzle before looking up a solution lets you understand it better, as opposed to simply following a prescribed sequence of steps to solve it. You won't believe how many newbies are rendered helpless if you do a PLL on a red face, because they can only solve the cube starting from a white cross.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Why are you acting so superior? I am simply anxious to get the puzzle and understand it. There are different people in the world. Some people enjoy learning how to do the puzzle on their own and other people enjoy learning from other people's contributions.. I suppose it goes along with my stand on cheating in games. The cheating only makes the game more fun (in my opinion). Learning the solution before you even get the puzzle just makes it that much cooler when you get the puzzle (in my opinion).

Could you explain why? Don't you like challenges? It sounds like you want to be superior, just like Stefan ;).

dougbenham

Could you explain why? It sounds like you want to be superior, just like Stefan ;).

Hmm.. Well I thought I'd try to give him some of his own medicine lol :D

um. well certain cheats like god mode can be quite funny. i mean come on.. who doesn't want to play god and have no resulting consequences? (since its a game)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why are you acting so superior?
Well you can read it *that* way, or you can read it as me trying to tell you that you might very well achieve something on your own here, and encouraging you to try it.

But I guess that "cheating in games" explanation shows you really always like to take the easy way out and avoid doing anything on your own. Let's hope your future potential employers can't google.

Last edited:

dougbenham

Why are you acting so superior?
Well you can read it *that* way, or you can read it as me trying to tell you that you might very well achieve something on your own here, and encouraging you to try it.

Alright. I will take your advice and attempt to solve the Square-1 with only my prior knowledge. If I am clueless after many tries, I will resort to looking up methods. Thank you for your suggestion.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alright. I will take your advice and attempt to solve the Square-1 with only my prior knowledge.
Yeeesss! Victory!

If I am clueless after many tries, I will resort to looking up methods.
Sure. It's just a big pity if you don't give it a try at all. I'm sure when you try it you'll get at least *something* on your own, maybe a layer or the corners or whatever you go for. You can always get help later if you get stuck. And if you're in it for speed, you can still learn faster methods later.