• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedstacks display interfering with timers?

Pedro

WCA
2007GUIM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm posting here to see if someone else experienced something similar.

At Oficina Open we had many timer issues, with 0.05, 0.21, 0.34, etc. The problems seemed to disappear after we disconnected the displays from the timers...

At Agulhas Negras Open, for logistical reasons, no displays were used, and it seems that no timer had any problems (except for one turning off after hands were released, which was fixed by replacing the battery).

I don't remember having as many problems as at Oficina Open in other comps, so I was wondering if it happens for someone else.

All the displays were connected to the electrical net, no batteries used. I've heard that 110V nets can be more unstable than 220V, and at Oficina Open all of the sockets were 110V.

On the other hand, I can produce 0.02-0.08 times on purpose, using my old timer, just by "taking off the weight" from my hands. And no display connected to it. Maybe because it's old...I'll try a new one later.

Is there some experience on this matter?

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
I'm posting here to see if someone else experienced something similar.

At Oficina Open we had many timer issues, with 0.05, 0.21, 0.34, etc. The problems seemed to disappear after we disconnected the displays from the timers...

At Agulhas Negras Open, for logistical reasons, no displays were used, and it seems that no timer had any problems (except for one turning off after hands were released, which was fixed by replacing the battery).

I don't remember having as many problems as at Oficina Open in other comps, so I was wondering if it happens for someone else.

All the displays were connected to the electrical net, no batteries used. I've heard that 110V nets can be more unstable than 220V, and at Oficina Open all of the sockets were 110V.

On the other hand, I can produce 0.02-0.08 times on purpose, using my old timer, just by "taking off the weight" from my hands. And no display connected to it. Maybe because it's old...I'll try a new one later.

Is there some experience on this matter?

This happens with old timers. They become too sensitive such that hovering over the pad without touching it will cause the timer to recognize your hand. When this happens, I sell the timer for a discount and order more.

Vincents

WCA
2006SHEU01
We had these problems for a while. It seemed to us the problem was low batteries in the timers themselves; when displays were connected the timer had to output signal to the displays, and on a low battery, this was asking too much of the timers. Once we replaced the batteries in the Stackmats, the problems disappeared.

Also agree with Bob. Old timers get sensitive.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
How old? I have one from '07 and still works fine (and I use it a lot, for practice).

I'm gonna try changing all timers batteries at the day of the comp and see how it goes.

It depends. Speedstacks only warranties them for 1 year. I, too, have some old timers that still work fine, but I have replaced a majority of my timers already.