• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

speedsolving the rubik's snake

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I got a rubik's snake for christmas and had it for a few weeks before I realised people were speedsolving them by making it from a line into a ball. I tried it myself and after a couple of days was getting sub-10 seconds, now I normally get 5s or 6s averages. My best time is 5.15

I was just wondering if many other people here did this and what are your times?

Also are there any mods you can do to it?

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hehehe, I've been trying this the past few days: I bought a Rubik's Snake at Xmas for one of my kids (one of those presents I buy for the kids which is really for myself!). I was interested to see that the stickers on the ends of the puzzle say "Rubik's Snake" but the box is labelled "Rubik's Twist". Anyhow - I'm about to try a speedsolve...

Hmmm, 24.45 -- not very impressive! I certainly didn't need that 15 second pre-inspection time :)

I started my twists in the middle of the puzzle which is probably a poor choice. Another try...

14.63 -- much better!

I remember these from the early 80s when I was a kid at junior school and there were many poor quality rip-offs around that would get really loose after a short amount of use. Perhaps a real loose snake would be the best mod - you'd just have to sort of crumple it up!

Last edited:

cookingfat

WCA
2009HARP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I own a Rubik's snake puzzle. But I have a Chinese made one. You can't really speedsolve this puzzle. It is intended to make as many interesting shapes as you can. The box on the Chinese version shows 24 possible shapes. You can probably find many, many more. I'm too lazy to do this now. But back in the early 1990's, I did discover over 40 new states though.

DAE_JA_VOO

It's like a ball thing, when it's super-compacted.
Scrambled state is when it's in a line.

It usually comes packaged in the ball.

Like this?

Rubik%27s%20Snake.jpg

That can't be it. Seriously. I bought one yesterday and managed to get it into this state in what must've been 2 minutes MAX on my first try. I didn't struggle at all, I just... did it.

Is that really it? Where's the challenge? :confused:

MichaelErskine

Premium Member
WCA
2008ERSK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That can't be it. Seriously. I bought one yesterday and managed to get it into this state in what must've been 2 minutes MAX on my first try. I didn't struggle at all, I just... did it.
Is that really it? Where's the challenge? :confused:
You overlooked the challenge - perhaps because the challenge is so small for you! For speedsolving it is a dexterity challenge much like the Magic.

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
Heh, good thing I did a search, otherwise... well you don't want to know.

I also practise Snake these days, averaging around 7.50 seconds, best time being 4.90.

S4sami

I might be a bit late, but how do you speed solve it? Is there some technique?