• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speeding up the magnetization process

AndrewKimmey

WCA
2017KIMM02
Hello everyone,

I have a helpful tip for everyone who wants to magnetize their own puzzles at home. So tomorrow the magnets for my Gans Air will be arriving in the mail, and I'll begin the hours-long process of super gluing the magnets into place. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just make the glue dry faster? I've used superglue for countless woodworking projects, and let me tell you, you can! What we normally refer to as plain old "superglue" is technically cyanoacrylate glue, which is clear, fast-drying, and whose fumes REALLY sting if they get into your eyes. Cyanoacrylate glue "dries" by absorbing water from the air funnily enough, and it won't completely harden until it can absorb enough water vapor from the air. UNLESS you have another chemical to speed up the process. Luckily, CA (cyanoacrylate) accelerators exist. They are usually sprays that come in small bottles and can be purchased at various hardware stores or online. After you have glued a magnet in place, just spray a small burst of accelerator on it, and the glue will harden sufficiently within seconds.

And thanks to some input from DMCubing (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIPR95xx7h14-KXogfVz9-g), you can also use plain sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) powder to accomplsih the same thing. You can sprinkle some baking soda on the fresh glue to make it harden much faster, however you WILL need to clean all of the excess NaHCO3 out of the pieces once done.

So there you go! Grab yourself a bottle of CA accelerator (or baking soda) and save yourself a couple of hours. (But ALWAYS double check to make sure the glue is completely hardened, because environmental factors can affect the effectiveness of CA accelerator and the glue's normal drying time).

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
How is it taking hours? I've done a 3x3 in 30 mins with Loctite Gel superglue. Ideally I'd wait a bit after that before using it but I find that organisation is the key to doing it quickly. The glue isn't really an issue.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
I use loctite instant superglue and I will say it's not always an advantage, especially when you do it wrong or get it on your skin, learnt from experience lol :)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I use generic Walmart superglue. It dries in 15-30 seconds or so, and I don't think I've ever had a magnet come loose that I didn't pry out. I usually try to give it a few extra minutes to dry and don't rush. I think the last 3x3 I magnetized took about 45 minutes.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I've used 2 different types of superglue, including Gorilla, and they both required a few hours to cure properly. They stick quick, but the glue is still tacky for an hour or 2 afterwards at least. I always leave pieces to cure for around 4 hours before reassembling.

The process of gluing the magnets in can be sped up with process.

SpeedCuber71

WCA
2014BHAT09
YouTube
Visit Channel
I appreciate your advice and will look into this but it never takes hours. I finished my GTS2M is ~30 minutes or so i think and i only waited a few seconds for the glue to dry on each edge/ corner so i could use them for more edges and corners and after they were all done, i paired them (edge with corner) and let them dry for very little time. My cube has been working fantastically. I used the superglue speedcubeshop provides in their magnetic conversion kit.

I'll surely look into this later! :)

js5752

I've also used gorilla super glue, and it does have a longer cure time. I've had magnets come loose after sitting for 15 minutes. I usually let them sit for an hour to fully harden in place.

Never tried an accelerator though. Might do that next time. I've got one more Air Master and just enough magnets. Just haven't picked the weekend yet.

allanboss131

How is it taking hours? I've done a 3x3 in 30 mins with Loctite Gel superglue. Ideally I'd wait a bit after that before using it but I find that organisation is the key to doing it quickly. The glue isn't really an issue.
Agreed, I can do 3x3s in like 30- 45 mins now, and 4x4s in about an hour (excluding assembly) after some practice it is really fast!