• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing in Oregon

DaveyCow

WCA
2012WING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How did I not know this thread existed???

lol davey cow is best cow

yay!!!!

Dave Wing is from Oregon! He rules! Moo.

moo! hug Brandon!

I'm from Oregon and new to the forums. I live in Lebanon just east of albany. I'm going to school at Oregon State (Though I'm a Duck fan from birth.) :)

Welcome ensigndan! How long you been cubing? I live in Corvallis and work at OSU :) (and a cube club should be starting this fall term)

Last edited:

ensigndan

WCA
2015VORE01
Welcome ensigndan! How long you been cubing? I live in Corvallis and work at OSU :) (and a cube club should be starting this fall term)

I've been solving for fun for 7 years or so, just using store bought rubies brand cubes. I gave my last one away after getting bored with it. about a month ago started watching some videos on youtube and bought a bunch of puzzles. Just another hobby to add the the list. haha. I guess i should clarify. I have one term left at LBCC then I'll be at OSU, I look forward to the club starting.

DaveyCow

WCA
2012WING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been solving for fun for 7 years or so, just using store bought rubies brand cubes. I gave my last one away after getting bored with it. about a month ago started watching some videos on youtube and bought a bunch of puzzles. Just another hobby to add the the list. haha. I guess i should clarify. I have one term left at LBCC then I'll be at OSU, I look forward to the club starting.

Neat! LBCC is a good school (I taught there for a few terms a few years ago - was impressed with them) What's yur fav puzzle and what do you ave with it?

ensigndan

WCA
2015VORE01
Neat! LBCC is a good school (I taught there for a few terms a few years ago - was impressed with them) What's yur fav puzzle and what do you ave with it?

I average 70 seconds on the 3x3, my pb is 45, but it was a lucky solve. I'm learning f2l and then will move on to OLL and PLL. I just got a megaminx and it looks fun, but have not had a chance to do anything with it while my wrist heals. I want to get better at 3x3 before i worry about becoming faster at other puzzles. I'm not fast by any means at the moment.

DaveyCow

WCA
2012WING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average 70 seconds on the 3x3, my pb is 45, but it was a lucky solve. I'm learning f2l and then will move on to OLL and PLL. I just got a megaminx and it looks fun, but have not had a chance to do anything with it while my wrist heals. I want to get better at 3x3 before i worry about becoming faster at other puzzles. I'm not fast by any means at the moment.

Fun! and yeah mega is pretty fun - I'm slow myself so we're in the same boat... you'll prolly pass me right by now that you have a better cube and are learning F2L/PLL (I wouldn't worry about OLL (unless you like learning algs, of course) - sub20 is definitely possible without it).

ensigndan

WCA
2015VORE01
I just broke down and got a better 4x4 as well as a 5x5 for the heck of it (wasn't much of a break down). I got a better 2x2 since my son just took mine and won't give it back, i don't mind though, maybe he will want to learn to solve as he gets older. I'm not sure ill ever get sub20. Seems like an impossible task.

DaveyCow

WCA
2012WING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just broke down and got a better 4x4 as well as a 5x5 for the heck of it (wasn't much of a break down). I got a better 2x2 since my son just took mine and won't give it back, i don't mind though, maybe he will want to learn to solve as he gets older. I'm not sure ill ever get sub20. Seems like an impossible task.

kewl! what 4x4 and 5x5 did you get? yeah sub20 seems pretty insane to me too. One step at a time I guess...

ensigndan

WCA
2015VORE01
got Shengshou 4x4 and 5x5. I have no idea how to solve the 5x5, but it looks fun. The 4x4 is amazing compared to my rubies brand. I'm going to try the konsta mod. i hate lock ups.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, it looks like I'll be moving to Portland this summer/fall. I see Chris Brotzman has been doing a lot with organization here -- would love to get caught up on what's happening here so I can start helping out as soon as I get there. Last competition seemed insane for this area.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, well! Very happy to see our local population of Kits increase. This is awesome!

Welp... guess we'll be able to have more comps. Rose City's turn out was much bigger than we expected it would get, so there's definitely demand. Let's talk sometime. I'd love to know what you think about the scene here. And also to see what ideas you might have for the community in general.

BLTWitch

WCA
2016CONN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to revive this post! Looks like no one has posted in over a year, and that saddens me. Are there any other oregon speedcubers out there? Especially with the upcoming competition in a few days, it'd be nice to know who is going. Personally, I'm in Eugene, OR, so I have to travel to Portland for the comp, but it'd be great to meet some people who live around here who like speed cubing. :)

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to revive this post! Looks like no one has posted in over a year, and that saddens me. Are there any other oregon speedcubers out there? Especially with the upcoming competition in a few days, it'd be nice to know who is going. Personally, I'm in Eugene, OR, so I have to travel to Portland for the comp, but it'd be great to meet some people who live around here who like speed cubing. :)

For some reason, I've noticed that there aren't many in Oregon on these forums. Kind of a bummer -- probably has something to do with how new competitions are to this area and not so many people knowing about the forums.

@DeeDubb and Aaron LoPrete will be coming back to UO/Eugene for the school year, which might help bring us some competitions to that area. We'll have to wait and see!

BLTWitch

WCA
2016CONN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
For some reason, I've noticed that there aren't many in Oregon on these forums. Kind of a bummer -- probably has something to do with how new competitions are to this area and not so many people knowing about the forums.

@DeeDubb and Aaron LoPrete will be coming back to UO/Eugene for the school year, which might help bring us some competitions to that area. We'll have to wait and see!

Oh good! I'd can't wait to see if we'll get any comps here. It would be nice to not have to drive for 2 hours to get a comp! xD