• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing in Ireland

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
General message to Irish cubers:

Find a venue that...
Doesn't cost more than a few hundred £ for a weekend (8am-6pm)
Has tables and chairs
Is available for full weekends
Is preferably not in the middle of nowhere

Find an organiser (or 2) that...
Is willing to put in some effort in the preceding months to make it happen
Will be 'on the ball' during the competition

Then...
Contact myself (or James)
We will try to figure out a suitable weekend that one of us can come and delegate
As you are all inexperienced, we will guide you through the organisation of it

WCA
2012HAMM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If anyone can find a venue, I am more than willing to spend whatever time necessary to get this going. I live in the south dublin area, but I couldn't find any hotels or halls that were both free for an entire weekend, and didn't cost the earth. I'm in college in maynooth too, so kildare isn't out of the question, its really not hard to get to from the airport, etc.

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01
Maynooth sounds good! I guess I could always try to get my school hall. Which shouldn't cost too much. There's a lot of venues I could check out as well, that won't cost a lot, if your interested.

LucidCuber

WCA
2006AUST01
I was going to suggest a school hall, as they are often cheap or free, and large enough to host these types of competition. I'd love to see a competition in Ireland and would help in anyway I can with organisation. I hope we'll see one in 2015 :)

Scott Doyle

My last post was a mistake I meant to send it somewhere else, anyway , I'd love to go and help out if needed , the Dublin area preferably

Kent02

Hi guys, I am from Cork, Ireland. I'm new here and in speed cubing. So far my best record was 1:07. I know that was slow, that's why I'm here to get tips and advice from you. I want to learn more about speed cubing. See you around guys. :)

M

Mr Beast

Anyone still actively cubing these days in Ireland(I hope there are !:))
There just hasn't been any posts in ages.

Fenlon

It'd be really cool if there was an active collaboration page between speedcubers based in Ireland. Or even if there were semi-regular meetups. I haven't been cubing very long and I only average around sub 30s. It's great to have such a wealth of information and advice for how to improve online. But I just think it would be so much more beneficial to talk with people in person about this kind of thing. Like, compare solve situations or just observe other peoples' technique for certain algorithms etc. Basically just to be around like-minded people who enjoy solving the cube would be really nice I think. :)

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It'd be really cool if there was an active collaboration page between speedcubers based in Ireland. Or even if there were semi-regular meetups. I haven't been cubing very long and I only average around sub 30s. It's great to have such a wealth of information and advice for how to improve online. But I just think it would be so much more beneficial to talk with people in person about this kind of thing. Like, compare solve situations or just observe other peoples' technique for certain algorithms etc. Basically just to be around like-minded people who enjoy solving the cube would be really nice I think. :)

A Facebook group would probably be the easiest way. Do you think it would do the trick?

Last edited:

CiaranBeahan

WCA
2012BEAH01

I'm going to imagine you haven't heard yet, but here https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=IrishChampionship2015

Fenlon

Thanks Ciarán! Tao, I'm sure that would do the trick to some degree. I'd just love to be able to talk with people in person about cubing really haha. Learn from my betters :)

Ciarán, how many people do you reckon will be at the event from Ireland?