• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing.com News Archive

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
For those of you who have looked, if you go to speedcubing.com, and on the left menu you can click on different years of the news archive. It really shows how far speedcubing has come. Here are some of the ones that stick out to me in the oldest archives:
  • October 2, 2002: Grant Tregay breaks the Unofficial World Record for Rubik's 2x2x2 average. The new record is 17.39 seconds.
  • December 18, 2002: Masayuki Akimoto broke the Unofficial World Record for Rubik's 4x4x4 average. The new record is 1 minute 38.6 seconds.
  • January 13, 2003: Gilles Roux broke the Unofficial World Record for Rubik's 2x2x2 average. The new record is 10.50 seconds.
  • April 11, 2003: Chris Hardwick broke the Unofficial World Record for solving a Rubik's cube one-handed, with a new record of 38.37 seconds. He also set a new average record of 44.10 seconds.
Just a few of many. I'd suggest you guys take a look at the archive if you haven't before, it is quite amazing.

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Man... I can still remember watching speedcubing.com in 2006 and I was thinking ''There are the elite cubers which exists less then 20 people all over the world'' and two months later at the Dutch Open 2006 I was immediatly like ''Hmm... I guessed wrong.''.

I couldn't solve the cube back then. :p

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
[*]October 2, 2002: Grant Tregay breaks the Unofficial World Record for Rubik's 2x2x2 average. The new record is 17.39 seconds.
:eek:
Perhaps this was the fastest time submitted to speedcubing.com, but certainly not the fastest in the world. Not even close. The fastest corners first solvers in the 80s were definitely sub-10 on corners, hence on 2^3 too.