• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing as a career?

Can it be a career

• Yes, today you can make a career

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • In 5 years you could make it a career

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • In the next 10-20 years it could be a career

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Never ever ever could it be a career

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

Cheesestick

There’s a 9 year old thread about wether speed cubing could be a career, which at the time was a no, but I’m wondering if the answer has changed since a decade ago?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Not now. But eventually. Currently, I'd say the only people that could make cubing their career would be Feliks, Max, and maybe someone like J Perm who has a big YouTube channel. But right now, Dylan isn't living off of YouTube, and none of the three are adults who have a family to take care of. Feliks and Dylan both have jobs outside of cubing, and Max is living with is parents

Cheesestick

Not now. But eventually. Currently, I'd say the only people that could make cubing their career would be Feliks, Max, and maybe someone like J Perm who has a big YouTube channel. But right now, Dylan isn't living off of YouTube, and none of the three are adults who have a family to take care of. Feliks and Dylan both have jobs outside of cubing, and Max is living with is parents
What does jperm do for a job?

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Once the sport becomes large enough then maybe it could be. I think the tipping point would be getting something like worlds or nats broadcasted on television, and from there it would really pick up. Right now, speedcubing isn't a job, but I could see it happening very soon as long as speedcubing keeps growing as fast as it has been recently.

Kbeast

i agree with everybody but cubing can always be a career it just at least rn cant make you all the money you need to life but you can always do what you like and it can be a career.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubing has been making the change from pure hobby to potentially a sport over the last decade which makes cubing as a career more of a possibility in the future.

I DONT think you’ll make enough money to support a family just being fast, solving, and winning competitions. I DO think that leveraging other skills and using cubing as a platform could be a decent source of income. Examples are Chris Tran using his scientific knowledge at the cubicle, Phil starting the cubicle, people with good radio/screen personalities with monetized content, etc.

My college roommate raced RC cars as a kid, became sponsored, kept racing and then went on the become a mechanical engineer for Team Associated designing the cars he raced. He leveraged his engineering knowledge to use his racing hobby to pay the bills. I think a situation like that could be possible in cubing but you’re going to need to be exceptional at more than just solves.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean, there are YouTubers making enough to live off of, I know for sure J Perm does YouTube as a job. I know these are the great exceptions, but the thread is about the possibility so,,, yeah it is a real possibility.
Isn’t he in college though? Making money on the side is a very different thing than having a cubing centered career. I agree there’s profits to be made though

Cheesestick

Isn’t he in college though? Making money on the side is a very different thing than having a cubing centered career. I agree there’s profits to be made though
wether or not he is choosing to, the man gets a little under 1/2 a million channel views a day, so unless his cpm is terrible, he is making more then enough money to support a family, let alone himself. Wow. I just read this again, and I didn’t mean to come off as snarky as it sounded.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
wether or not he is choosing to, the man gets a little under 1/2 a million channel views a day, so unless his cpm is terrible, he is making more then enough money to support a family, let alone himself. Wow. I just read this again, and I didn’t mean to come off as snarky as it sounded.
Not quite. He's averaging roughly 190,000 views a day according to Socialblad (5.7m over last 30 days). Cubing is going to have a very, very low cpm because of the subject matter. Even still, he's probably clearing $2-$3k a month just from the channel.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
In India, speedcubing definitely is not a career.

I can see that happening in US and China. 100+ cubers turning pro and fully financed there.

May I ask why you posted in this 3 year old thread after posting in a thread that was just made on the exact same topic?