• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SpeedCubeLegend's Progression Thread | Aiming for Sub 1:20 3BLD, Sub-10 3x3, Sub-1:20 Megaminx, Sub-5 Pyraminx, Sub-10 Skewb | No Upcoming Comps

What events should I do at comp?

• Pyraminx

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 5x5

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Square-1

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Clock

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's my cubing progression. For some background, I started cubing around 3 months ago (only 3x3), learned 2x2 2 months ago, and learned 4x4 about a week ago. I average around 30-31 seconds on 3x3 with a PB of 20.57, 8-9 seconds on 2x2 with a PB of 2.37, and I average around 3-4 minutes on 4x4 with a PB of 3:09.22. I have been doing some OH as well, with an average of about 1:20 and a PB of 1:04.55. For 2x2 I use Ortega, for 3x3 I use CFOP, and for 4x4 I use Yau.

My goals by the end of summer (hopefully these are reasonable, because I still have a lot I can fix on my solves and more to learn):

• Sub-25 average on 3x3
  • Sub-7 average on 2x2
  • Sub-2 average on 4x4
  • Sub-1 average on OH

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's my cubing progression. For some background, I started cubing around 3 months ago (only 3x3), learned 2x2 2 months ago, and learned 4x4 about a week ago. I average around 30-31 seconds on 3x3 with a PB of 20.57, 8-9 seconds on 2x2 with a PB of 2.37, and I average around 3-4 minutes on 4x4 with a PB of 3:09.22. I have been doing some OH as well, with an average of about 1:20 and a PB of 1:04.55. For 2x2 I use Ortega, for 3x3 I use CFOP, and for 4x4 I use Yau.

My goals by the end of summer (hopefully these are reasonable, because I still have a lot I can fix on my solves and more to learn):

• Sub-25 average on 3x3
  • Sub-7 average on 2x2
  • Sub-2 average on 4x4
  • Sub-1 average on OH
I could do a virtual lesson with you... I average 10-12 seconds with 3x3, 3-4 seconds with 2x2, and 40-50 seconds with 4x4.

I did an average of 50 for 3x3, and it was 28.55 seconds! My best solve in the session was 21.08 seconds. I was going to do the same with 2x2 but my cube popped for the second time so I gave up on it for now.

First Sub-3 minute 4x4 single!

Time: 2:47.12

Scramble: D2 R' B D2 F' L2 U F L' D' F2 D2 B2 R2 D' L2 R2 U' F2 R2 Uw2 Fw2 R' U' D' Fw2 U2 L' D' F2 Uw2 D' L Fw' Uw2 L' B R B R' Rw' B2 Uw L2 Fw2 L'

Okay so for 4x4 I've started averaging a little under 3 minutes, and almost all of my solves are under 3 minutes. I've also been learning 3-2-3 edge pairing so I'm hoping that will help me drop my times.

I also registered for Inland Empire Summer, but I am 2nd on the waitlist (I believe, my name hasn't been added but there is only one other person on the list). I'm doing 3x3, Pyraminx, and 5x5, although I don't have or know how to solve any of those other than 3x3. I'm really hoping I get in, but what do you all think my chances are?

Imsoosm

Okay so for 4x4 I've started averaging a little under 3 minutes, and almost all of my solves are under 3 minutes. I've also been learning 3-2-3 edge pairing so I'm hoping that will help me drop my times.

I also registered for Inland Empire Summer, but I am 2nd on the waitlist (I believe, my name hasn't been added but there is only one other person on the list). I'm doing 3x3, Pyraminx, and 5x5, although I don't have or know how to solve any of those other than 3x3. I'm really hoping I get in, but what do you all think my chances are?
If you don't have those puzzles, are you planning to buy them??????? And you still need to practice quite a bit for warming up before the comp.

If you don't have those puzzles, are you planning to buy them??????? And you still need to practice quite a bit for warming up before the comp.
Yeah I was planning on buying them, but it is quite a dilemma because I don't know if I'll get off the waitlist or if I have any chance to. I hear pyraminx is pretty easy to learn, and I wanted to learn it anyway. I was going to buy a 5x5 too, but I'm not sure if I'll get good enough at it in time. The comp is in a month but I don't want to buy anything and then not get in so 🤔. I made a terrible choice to order a 4x4 a week before my last comp and then get it and learn it within 4 days 🤦. I didn't make the time limit on either solve (my times were like 4 and 5 minutes). But I do have more time so I'm just struggling with the whole situation lol.

I got into the comp! I already know I'm doing 3x3, but I'd appreciate some feedback on whether or not I should buy and learn any of the events above in the poll. The comp is in about a month. I'd also appreciate if I could get some reasoning as to why some events would be a bad idea to learn and compete in with the amount of time. I also just did where you could pick multiple events because I might do multiple more besides 3x3. My thoughts were 3x3, 5x5, and Pyraminx.

Last edited:
Can I get some insight as to how difficult 5x5 and Square-1 are? Like, what exactly makes them hard and how hard they are? Specifically since I would have to learn them within a month. I've heard clock and pyraminx are pretty easy, so it just depends on if I'd like those.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can I get some insight as to how difficult 5x5 and Square-1 are? Like, what exactly makes them hard and how hard they are? Specifically since I would have to learn them within a month. I've heard clock and pyraminx are pretty easy, so it just depends on if I'd like those.
5x5 is easy. sq-1 is too, except for cubeshape