• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Speed Blindfolded: 8.90 Seconds [Lucas Garron]

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I saw that this guy using CFOP to Bindfolded lol
I guess he knows how to solve the scramble before he saw the cube.

No, this is SpeedBLD, not regular BLD. in SpeedBLD you memorize the cube and track the pieces with the method you use for speedsolving (in this case CFOP). Memorization time for this is usually a few hours. in regular BLD you use different methods, and memo time can be under 10 seconds. Popular methods for regular BLD are M2, OP, BH and 3-style, none of them are speed methods.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What was the memorization time?

Mentioned in the video: about 35 minutes. I'm a bit out of practice, and I also spent quite a bit of time planning the last slot / LL before figuring out what algs to do from what angle.

Oh, hmm. I don't mind someone being faster, but I *do* mind someone selecting a scramble for speed BLD just because it's easy. Otherwise, it's easy to filter out a 1-in-a-1000 scramble for yourself. I mean, a 2-move Xcross? The cross+first slot are a sigfinicant part of speed BLD, and I don't think it's fair to claim a UWR when you decide to do speed BLD *after* you start inspection for such a scramble.

Every time I do speed BLD, I use a fresh scramble; in this case, I went to the weekly competition just to make a point that I wasn't generating it myself.

Does anyone know of other successes under 8.90?

In any case, we're getting to the point where speed BLD single won't mean much. Should we be working on accuracy for avg5? :p

that's simply awesome, speed bld should be official wca event.
Yah. Probably won't happen in the near future. I'm still sad about that. :-(

I saw that this guy using CFOP to Bindfolded lol
I guess he knows how to solve the scramble before he saw the cube.
Uh, no? This is speed BLD.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
well that's my opinion, and you shouldn't be so anoying

Maybe you could have explained why you think it should be an official event with sound arguments rather than take it as a personal attack?

While I'd love to see it as an official event too, there are some issues:

1. Time - a good solve requires a good deal of planning, tracing, memorisation of moves, finding good algs that minimize the effect on other pieces and taking time at the end to ensure the memo is solid. Thus this should take a long time, even for some experienced solvers. You'd need to find an hour slot in what could be a busy schedule, and find a judge who's willing to watch you for an hour and make sure you don't do any moves to the cube (good luck.)
2. If you were to do a 'quick' memo, with a 3BLD style execution (if you're good <20s) then it defeats the purpose of the event and you might as well just stick to 3BLD.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
well that's my opinion, and you shouldn't be so anoying
Not sure what you mean. It's also my opinion that speed BLD should be (/should have been) an official event.

While I'd love to see it as an official event too, there are some issues:

1. Time - a good solve requires a good deal of planning, tracing, memorisation of moves, finding good algs that minimize the effect on other pieces and taking time at the end to ensure the memo is solid. Thus this should take a long time, even for some experienced solvers. You'd need to find an hour slot in what could be a busy schedule, and find a judge who's willing to watch you for an hour and make sure you don't do any moves to the cube (good luck.)
2. If you were to do a 'quick' memo, with a 3BLD style execution (if you're good <20s) then it defeats the purpose of the event and you might as well just stick to 3BLD.

But:
1. Multi BLD also had its time limit reduced by a lot. Speed BLD with a time limit of 20 minutes would probably be reasonable. If people actually started practicing, 10 minutes would probably be feasible.
2. Allowing quick memo makes speed BLD accessible just like multi BLD is accessible. You can take what you know, and try to improve it. I'd love to see what kind of optimizations people would make to BLD methods for this. Perhaps we'd find new tricks to port back to regular BLD.

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not sure what you mean. It's also my opinion that speed BLD should be (/should have been) an official event.

But:
1. Multi BLD also had its time limit reduced by a lot. Speed BLD with a time limit of 20 minutes would probably be reasonable. If people actually started practicing, 10 minutes would probably be feasible.
2. Allowing quick memo makes speed BLD accessible just like multi BLD is accessible. You can take what you know, and try to improve it. I'd love to see what kind of optimizations people would make to BLD methods for this. Perhaps we'd find new tricks to port back to regular BLD.

Who are some other speedBLD solvers who can memorize around the 10-20 minute range? I only know of you and Ville Sepannen :/ I just think that if it was to become an official event it would need to become a lot more popular than it is now. In order to do that we would have to open up the floor to 'beginners' and allow them a lot longer than 20 minutes, just like Multi BLD offers 1/2 as an official score. SpeedBLD could be a very difficult concept to introduce to people who have never tried it before and may appeal to a very small group of people (which I acknowledge is also true of 4/5BLD, but BLD memorization is completely different to speedBLD and in my opinion far easier.)

However, the idea of optimizating BLD methods is interesting and something I might look into when I come back from my break. Alex Lau has a 9.18 using Roux so advanced blockbuilding is obviously possible to do too.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speed Blindfolded: 8.90 Seconds

I agree completely that it's unfair to do speedBLD on a scramble that you did not set out to do speedBLD on. I've gotten sub-25 3BLDs on 3x3 scrambles that I noticed had lots of solved pieces, but I obviously don't count those.

Last edited: