• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Some competition-related questions

speedcuber50

Hi!

I've been thinking about entering a WCA competition (there's one coming up in Guilford, which is not far from where I live). But I have a few questions...

1. What sort of times do you need in order to enter, and in order to do reasonably well? How far will I get with an average of 25 seconds?
2. How do you enter?
3. Do you get to use your own cube? And, if so, how do I know if my cube is suitable?
4. How do those timer thingys work?

Thanks,

speedcuber50

(BTW, please don't move this into the one-answer thread, as I am tired of getting useless answers like "learn roux" or "slow down and look ahead" to my questions.)

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. As long as you can solve it in under 10 minutes, you're fine. Comps aren't (for) me about winning, it's just a fun "sidething" to win (don't know the real word) Comps are most about having fun and meeting new people. Click
2. You go to the WCA page of the competition and press Registration Form
3. You use your own cube. It can be any size, not pillowed, not stickerless and stickers must be in good condition (somewhat atleast) More info Here and Here
4. You put your hands on the touchpads, ans wait for the green light to start shining. The timer starts when you lift one or both hands off of the pads, and stops when you put your hands back. Here you can find more info about solving in competitions

(BTW, "Slow down and look ahead" is not useless, it's one of the best advices you can get)

JvRcuber

by the timer push you POWER to start and RESET to delete you'r time

ben1996123

Banned
WCA
2009WHIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. What sort of times do you need in order to enter, and in order to do reasonably well? How far will I get with an average of 25 seconds?
2. How do you enter?
3. Do you get to use your own cube? And, if so, how do I know if my cube is suitable?
4. How do those timer thingys work?

1. 10 meenut, in ukcomps you usually need about 20sek average to get to second round of 3x3
2. competion websight
3. ofc, if it has stickers
4. put your hands on, take your hands off