• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Skewb Discussion and Help

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's occurred to me that there are a multitude of notation systems for skewb, and with a skewb milestone right around the corner, I think that a lack of a standardized notation system will make generating and sharing algorithms a nightmare.

Because of this, I'd like to propose a notation system that maintains WCA FCN while labelling the other four corners based on other existing notation systems:

Standard Skewb Notation Proposal

The puzzle is held with three faces fully visible, where the U face is on top, the F face is on the front-left, and the R face is on the front-right.
The D face is opposite the U face, the L face is opposite the R face, and the B face is opposite the F face.

The corner piece adjacent to the square-shaped centre pieces of any three adjacent faces A, B, and C, will be said to be in the ABC position.
Thus:

U is a clockwise twist of the layer around the UBL corner.
R is a clockwise twist of the layer around the DBR corner.
L is a clockwise twist of the layer around the DFL corner.
B is a clockwise twist of the layer around the DBL corner.
The four twists listed above comprise the official WCA scrambling notation for Skewb, also known as "WCA FCN".

F is a clockwise twist of the layer around the DFR corner.
r is a clockwise twist of the layer around the UBR corner.
l is a clockwise twist of the layer around the UFL corner.
f is a clockwise twist of the layer around the UFR corner.

' inverts a move.

How does this sound?

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It works nice, if we got opposite centers on R/L or U center is on F/U/B face. But sometimes nothing matches (it propably requires sledge/hedge at least 2 times) and I have no idea how to solve that. It would be great if somebody could post these three 1-look algs.

TiLiMayor

WCA
2011VARG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Force one of the other centers to be solved instead. Can force at least one centre solved with 2 sledge/hedge every time. I never use the cat3 cases.

Could you elaborate.. Im having a hard time recognizing/performing the cat3 cases..
How you determinate if either do hedge or sledge to place on top the forced center? or am I just totally misunderstanding this?

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you elaborate.. Im having a hard time recognizing/performing the cat3 cases..
How you determinate if either do hedge or sledge to place on top the forced center? or am I just totally misunderstanding this?

Sledge and hedge do the same thing to the centres. F and B swap, U and R swap.

If you take this understanding of how sledge and hedge work to a deeper level, you could force a centre adjacent to your layer to solve instead of attempting to solve the U centre.

Then what you're left with is just a L4C+CLL case from my method =)