• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Skewb Discussion and Help

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
The algs I use are
U - Sledge z2 Sledge
Z - R L' U' L U L R L' R
H - I do double U perm but I'll definitely learn this alg (z R U R U' R' U' z' y S)

I brought up the question cus I cant fingertrick the Z-perm and it's my slowest alg rn. I'm still learning Sarah's Intermediate

DynaXT

WCA
2021PORT02
Also for H perm you can learn the skip case, if you're on the last sledge/hedge before U layer's solved, check if the L and R centers are solved. If they are, do y2, the alg you were going to do before the rotation, then y2 and the opposite of what you just did.

That probably could've been phrased better but idk how to so I'm sorry if you didn't understand.

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Also for H perm you can learn the skip case, if you're on the last sledge/hedge before U layer's solved, check if the L and R centers are solved. If they are, do y2, the alg you were going to do before the rotation, then y2 and the opposite of what you just did.

That probably could've been phrased better but idk how to so I'm sorry if you didn't understand.
I am confusion.

otcami23

I average around 10 seconds on Skewb. I usually start the solve by making a layer, then making the opposite side's corners and center with an alg and then with another alg i solve the rest of the centers.
What is there beyond this method tat i can learn to get faster, or should i keep practicing with the method i am using currently for skewb?

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
You currently use Sarah's Intermediate and for your level, just practice until your consistently sub-9. Learn better fingertricks.

Or you can just watch this video and ignore everything I've said.

Beyond Sarah's Intermediate, there's Sarah's Advanced which has just 2 steps
- Solve a Layer
- Solve the rest in one alg.
It isn't recommended to learn it until sub-7

I currently average around 8.5 so I don't even think I'm qualified to give this advice.

DynaXT

WCA
2021PORT02
Extension to Timona’s advice, intermediate can get you to sub 6 with enough practice (or so I’ve heard, but I don’t doubt it considering I have a 5.13 ao5) and advanced should be learned when you reach that barrier. I’m faster than Timona so I’m more qualified to give advice.

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I was doing a Skewb solve when there was something I realized, for the cases on OLL where there are headlights and the center is either in the headlights or with no corners on the opposite of the headlights, you have to use beginner method. But I was wondering if there was any algs to solve those cases without using beginner?

NigelTheCuber

WCA
2022PHAN03
So I was doing a Skewb solve when there was something I realized, for the cases on OLL where there are headlights and the center is either in the headlights or with no corners on the opposite of the headlights, you have to use beginner method. But I was wondering if there was any algs to solve those cases without using beginner?
No, you use beginners method