• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Skewb Discussion and Help

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Based on your username, I assume you're talking about Skewb? If so, I'd say there's a pretty straightforward way to get fast:
Sarah's beginner --> Sarah's intermediate --> Sarah's advanced --> practice until world class

Also, this is the Skewb discussion board. I think it's safe to say that you are right and that he's asking for Skewb help. :)

I’m trying to get help from world class skewbers with tips you don't really see on youtube right now I’m trying to get sub 3.5

Last edited:

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
No matter what I do, my sledge is always incredibly slow and clunky. I know how it's done but there's always something that goes wrong in the execution and I'm not sure what it is. Other info: I use Sarah's Intermediate, my main is a Wingy, I average just below sub-10, and my hedge is significantly better than my sledge.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
No matter what I do, my sledge is always incredibly slow and clunky. I know how it's done but there's always something that goes wrong in the execution and I'm not sure what it is. Other info: I use Sarah's Intermediate, my main is a Wingy, I average just below sub-10, and my hedge is significantly better than my sledge.
Are you using Polish fingertricks for your sledges and hedges?

If not, learn them!

If so, make sure youre mainly only using your thumb pointer and middle fingers, with your thumb on the front face and the two other fingers on the top face. The other two fingers should mainly not be involved.

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
Are you using Polish fingertricks for your sledges and hedges?

If not, learn them!

If so, make sure youre mainly only using your thumb pointer and middle fingers, with your thumb on the front face and the two other fingers on the top face. The other two fingers should mainly not be involved.

I think that might be the issue. I'll start doing that and see if it improves. Thanks for the advice.

Also, how do I fingertrick the move optimal Z perm? It always takes about four or five seconds for me to do it an it's super inconvenient.

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
Update: Thank you, weatherman223! You made me realize that I was using four fingers instead of three on my sledge, which got my average down to about sub-7. While I pretty much have given up on skewb recently, I just got an AoYan yesterday and I already love it more than the Wingy. It maintains shape, it's faster, and I actually like it so much that I might try to get good at skewb again. The reason I ended up not practicing was becuase my Wingy broke and the next comp I'm going to didn't have skewb.

Max_Hult

Today i just got a 0.50 skewb solve with a 4 move solution.
Here is the scramble (i use cstimer btw): R' U R L B' U' L' B' L'
So i just want to know if a 4 move solution counts so i know if i should count it or not.

WCA
2019WILK04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm currently learning Sarah's advanced to try and bring down my times a bit, I'm currently averaging high 4s. If anyone could critique this skewb average with any tips as well that would be great!

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone know if there are any TCLL resources for Skewb? I’m starting to go through some of it and made a list of solutions for an intermediate step that will only solve the u later center.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm currently learning Sarah's advanced to try and bring down my times a bit, I'm currently averaging high 4s. If anyone could critique this skewb average with any tips as well that would be great!
I'm not very good at critiques, but from what I see, there are a couple things I noticed.

Inspection: Use more, your layers are quite inefficient
Advanced: You seem to be pausing in between sledges. learn what leads to what

You also might benefit from learning some algs for the worse advanced cases. Your turning is pretty good :).

Does anyone know if there are any TCLL resources for Skewb? I’m starting to go through some of it and made a list of solutions for an intermediate step that will only solve the u later center.

Yes, actually: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j-SGlgZk20D3d2TyeiXhMWzeyTBuuix3Owgj9Q8rNbo/edit?usp=sharing

This has more than just TCLL and is really good for a lot of things so I recommend you check it out if you wanna improve ;)