• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Skewb Discussion and Help

GCubing

YouTube
Visit Channel
I find it really difficult to learn Sarah's Advanced Skewb Method. But I just don't know how to learn the algorithms. There are so many that I hardly come across the ones I'm learning. So, does anyone know a good way of learning and memorizing Sarah's Advanced?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Disclaimer: This is coming from someone who hasn't even learned all of Sarah's intermediate, but I have been cubing for a while, so I know at least a little bit about learning algs. :p

Don't try to learn dozens of algs at once; instead, learn two or three (and do them a bunch of times so you really get them in your muscle memory), and then keep doing solves until they show up. Skewb is a relatively short event, so it's not that hard to do a hundred or more solves. Once you've done that, go back and learn some more (and keep practicing the ones you've already learned by doing a bunch of solves). It's not something you should learn all at once, but if you give yourself a couple months or more, it's very feasible.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It isn't really algs that you are learning, just cases. I suggest looking into Luigi Soriano's tutorial, then go to Kennan's tutorial to fill in the gaps. You'll find that there are a lot less then you think - even though there are 70+ cases, you only need to memorize 8-10.

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
I have recently started focusing on skewb and I average sub 20 (around 18) with Sarah's beginner method. I don't know much about the popular advanced and intermediate methods. Can someone tell me about the same? Also, how fast can I get with the beginner method? And what all is required for getting sub 10?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I have recently started focusing on skewb and I average sub 20 (around 18) with Sarah's beginner method. I don't know much about the popular advanced and intermediate methods. Can someone tell me about the same? Also, how fast can I get with the beginner method? And what all is required for getting sub 10?
First off you could average 9-10 seconds with Sarah's beginner, and maybe even faster then 9-10 seconds, but I do not know that for sure because I switched from Sarah's beginner to Sarah's intermediate when I was averaging 9 seconds.

I only know Sarah's intermediate method at the moment, and I am averaging between 4-5 seconds, so it is very possible for you to average the same if you learn Sarah's intermediate method. I know that to be really good and average around 2-3 seconds, you need to know most or almost all of Sarah's advanced algs, but if you just want to be sub 10 then the intermediate method is just fine.

Some things to keep in mind for getting better at Skewb, is to make sure that your first layer is efficient and only a few moves/sledges, and also make sure that you can plan out the first layer during inspection, so that you can look ahead to the step as you solve your first layer.

I by no means am that great, and there are many individuals that are better then I am and that can probably give you more and better tips but I hope that this is a good start for you, and please ask more questions, if you have any.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, at this point just learn intermediate and practice. Learn how to do sledges and hedges without regripping, that's really important. After that, just focus on being more efficient.

Tanish

WCA
2015AGAR11
Yeah, have already done that. Now I need to work on efficiency and faster sledges and hedges. Do skewb speedsolvers use fingertricks for the first layer as well or does it involve rotations and regrips?

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, have already done that. Now I need to work on efficiency and faster sledges and hedges. Do skewb speedsolvers use fingertricks for the first layer as well or does it involve rotations and regrips?
The less rotations and regrips, the better. Any layer can be solved in 7 moves or less. learn how to insert multiple pieces at a time. Look at example solves.

IQubic

WCA
2014CASP01
Does anyone have a better Diag-Pi alg than what is listed on the Kirmeep site? The alg is in FCN and is this: B' R' B U' B' R' B' L'
Having every other move be a B move is really terrible.

So I picked up skewb some weeks back, I had a skewb for a year but never used it. So I learnt sarah's beginners, and now I am using sarah's intermediate and I am averaging around 10-15 seconds. My questions: Until what times should I keep using sarah's intermediate? When should I learn sarah's advanced? How fast can I get on skewb with this method? And how will I get better at skewb?

I basically want to know what times I should aim for.
Thanks in advance,
- BlueberryCuber

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello! I was wondering if I was good at skewb.... Now I already know I'm not near world class but my pb single is 1.702 and my pb ao5 is 3.85. I tend to average sub-7 with sarah's advanced but I often get sub-6 averages and I've been also getting a decent amount of sub-5 averages too. So.... am I good? What level do you think I am at? If you want to see a session I have done, in the background of this video I did some solves and I think they give a decent representation of where I am:

Thanks!!!!