• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Skewb Discussion and Help

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here are videos on how I execute U, H, and Z perms (and misc. other execution stuff). I recorded them for #rubik but might as well post them here.

U-Perm:

H-Perm:

Z-Perm:

Pi (Sledge/hedge/those 4 moves):

Edit: V-Skewb! (Skewb with V-Cube mech. + hardware)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thougth about alternatives to existing skewb methods in the last days.
An interessting aproach is solving the centers first. You can always solve them with a max. of 3 moves, averaging sub 2.
This means you can easily trace the corner pieces and predict the next moves / the next alg.
But I haven't found a good aproach for corners. There are way too many cases. Orient first and permute second seems rather bad, also solving one set of corners (UF UB, DL, DR) than the other one.

Anyone got ideas?

Izanagi

WCA
2013MURT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Makin' the LanLan Smoother

It has V-Cube hardware, and was modded to have a V-Cube mech inside. The one in the videos in the previous post is just a stock QJ with ball bearings removed.

Could you suggest some way (minus modding) that makes the lanlan smoother??? Its locky, and not smooth at all. tensioning, lubing, anything to help it turn smoother :3
PS: Your exec videos were awesome. awesome fingertricks on the algs!
PPS: Your site rocks. Just. awesome. You should prolly do full l5c exec tutorials or something. :shrug:
-iz

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you suggest some way (minus modding) that makes the lanlan smoother??? Its locky, and not smooth at all. tensioning, lubing, anything to help it turn smoother :3
PS: Your exec videos were awesome. awesome fingertricks on the algs!
PPS: Your site rocks. Just. awesome. You should prolly do full l5c exec tutorials or something. :shrug:
-iz

I rounded all the pieces, but I'm not sure how big of an impact that had.

Swapping the springs for stiffer ones gives it more tolerance/corner cutting, but makes it pop a lot more.

Izanagi

WCA
2013MURT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just put one drop of Maru in my skewbs. Works wonders for a good while. The rest is just turning.

Ah, okay. Thanks for that :)

I rounded all the pieces, but I'm not sure how big of an impact that had.

Swapping the springs for stiffer ones gives it more tolerance/corner cutting, but makes it pop a lot more.

Oh i see..... i'm guessing controlled turning and practice will not allow it to pop that much. What kind of springs can i swap? Thanks for the help!
-Iz

Akash Rupela

WCA
2012RUPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help with Sarah's intermediate method.
Currently i use intuitive 1st layer + 1 look opposite center and corners(non intuitive-fixed alg for each case , ) + U perm(or two) and able to get about 15 seconds.
1. Is intuitive 2nd step better than non intuitive because you can influence centers in someway to get better cases?
2; What should be ideal splits for 10 seconds solve?
3. Can anybody make a good video for showing alg execution , i could not even follow Meep's slow exec video.
4. How fast should the basic sledgehammers and hedgeslammers be? (i saw Sarah's video. I can do a regripless sledgehammer but cant find anything cool enough for hedge).
5. Any other shortcuts/ methods you think working over which can help me get faster. I am very open to learning algs provided they can be performed faster than my current ones(obviously)