• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should the WCA introduce an event tier system?

Should the WCA have an event tier system?

• Yes

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Why is everyone now making threads about adding stuff to WCA?
*cough*

As stated in the title, I think that a tiered system of events should be incorporated to the WCA. I personally like @Kit Clement's idea(actually I think he ripped it off from someone else), with three tiers:

Tier 1 - Must be held at every major championship
Tier 2 - Can be held at major championships, but aren't required
Tier 3 - Cannot be held at a major championship

The third tier solves the problem of people saying they don't want an event added because then they have to hold it at a championship: even if you are involved in organizing one, it's impossible for tier 3 events to be held. It still allows tier 3 events to be held at local competitions, so people can enjoy a puzzle as an official event, but organizers don't need to be obligated to hold them. It also lets all the different puzzles people want added to be added, and will lessen the gap between official and unofficial events.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I also agree that SEE basically works as the Tier 3 event list. It still might be interesting to have this within the WCA for extra visibility of additional events without straining major event organizers with holding even more events than the lengthy list we already have.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I also agree that SEE basically works as the Tier 3 event list. It still might be interesting to have this within the WCA for extra visibility of additional events without straining major event organizers with holding even more events than the lengthy list we already have.
Could you please link the SEE's website?

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, but to move all of this to WCA would take at least a couple of years to fully implement all the new events

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

That's true, but I still feel like the visibility of SEE is way less than if it was the WCA. I didn't even know about it until I found out from you and Andrew. Perhaps SEE could become officially "certified" by the WCA, to at least make it more publicly known?

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
My "yes" vote is conditional.

YES if there are a very limited number of events added in a year.

Adding like 6 events a year is insane for everyone.

I personally think that a maximum of two events (I could be convinced to change that to three) should be added to this "tier list" per year. This is due to the simple fact that devising guidelines regulations for events takes time and a lot of effort and voting and whatnot, as well as the fact that having a ridiculous amount of events would make it extremely difficult to run large competitions, even if the events were fast/easy.

Two is an arbitrary number, but it sticks out to me as a number that doesn't seem overwhelming, but is not only a single measly event.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, but to move all of this to WCA would take at least a couple of years to fully implement all the new events

It's not a trivial process, but it definitely wouldn't take two years to implement all the new events. I also definitely don't think all SEE events should migrate to WCA.

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
My "yes" vote is conditional.

YES if there are a very limited number of events added in a year.

Adding like 6 events a year is insane for everyone.

I personally think that a maximum of two events (I could be convinced to change that to three) should be added to this "tier list" per year. This is due to the simple fact that devising guidelines regulations for events takes time and a lot of effort and voting and whatnot, as well as the fact that having a ridiculous amount of events would make it extremely difficult to run large competitions, even if the events were fast/easy.

Two is an arbitrary number, but it sticks out to me as a number that doesn't seem overwhelming, but is not only a single measly event.
There are already guidelines
e.g. 2x2 OH is literally just 3x3 OH but competitors must solve a 2x2x2 cube

Sion

Tier 3 bothers me. It should be alongside tier two honestly.

If records are being set on tier 3 events, when they do go to major championships, there's almost no point since a meta has been developed by then.