• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I start learning blindfolded now or later?

choipster

I use the Petrus Method and am nearing the sub-minute average mark in speedcubing. Would you guys recommend learning a blindfolded method as I continue to practice my speedcubing or wait until I get like sub-30 averages? Thanks for any advice.

tenderchkn

Blindfold solving a completely different from speedcubing, and being to solve fast is not a prerequisite to being able to do blindfold fast.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Daniel Beyer is slower than I am on the 5x5x5 (and I am not really fast), but he is one of few people that can solve it blindfolded!

Learning blindfolded is a good way to start understanding the cube better. It will help you improve your normal times a little, but not much.

Basically, blindfolded is completely different from normal so there is no reason not to start learning it.

choipster

thanks guys. I guess i'll start learning blindfolded cubing now and see what happens. I think Ill use the 3 cycle method from cubefreak.net

Harris Chan

WCA
2007CHAN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yah, solving blindfolded can help you on your normal speedsolving too. So by the time you get sub 20, your blindfold times are also pretty fast. It's a whole different thing. There's memory improvements too! A whole rounded exercise of the mind... :D

Yet, I still haven't really focus on it as much -.-

clover

WCA
2011VOCH01
When should I start BLD?

I want to start BLD but I'm not quite sure if I'm ready yet. I have a 35 second average.

I was wondering whether you guys think i should start yet or wait until I'm sub-20 or whatever.

If you could also post when you guys started that would be awesome. And how long it took for you to solve your first BLD.

Thanks.

EDIT: Which method is best would also be quite helpful.

Gavin

WCA
2007NELS02
It really doesn't matter when you start. As long as you have a general understanding of the cube, you should be fine. I would recommend either Old Pochmann or M2/Old Pochmann.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The common misconception about learning blindfolded is that you are supposed to use your speed method (whether it's Fridrich, Roux, ZZ, Petrus, and the like) to solve the cube blindfolded.

What you're actually doing is you're solving the cube in specific cycles, so you're solving certain pieces at a time.

Because of the completely different approach than a speedsolving method, BLD can be learned anytime.