• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Should I keep using CFOP or switch?

Should I keep using CFOP or switch.

• Yes, you should switch

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No, don't switch

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

FireCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys!

I am right around sub36 and I use CFOP. I am trying to get faster. Should I keep using CFOP on switch to a different way? Tips would be great to because I need some for getting faster...to all you guys faster then me ;) I am thinking I should stay using CFOP but I wanted your thoughts. Please give me some tips too for getting faster! That would be great! :)

Solvador Cubi

If being as fast as possible is your goal, I would build off and add to what you already know, CFOP.

If solving with different methods or different puzzles sounds like more fun, then try something else for a while.

You can always come back to 3x3 CFOP anytime.

-= Solvador Cubi

cubing master

WCA
2014ROBE05
Now is the time to ry out different methods. You have experience with CFOP but you aren't that fast yet, and if you think you would like to try a different method, try it now and see which one you like best, that way you aren't stuck with a method you hate. If you are perfectly fine with CFOP and don't care about any other methods, then dont switch.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
IMO, learn CFOP with 4lll, learn ZZ and learn roux. Choose which one you prefer and which one you think has the most potential. For example, CFOP has proven its potential, with almost all the fast solvers using it. This is the same with roux but it only has Kian Mansor and Alex Lau, while zz hasn’t been proven. As well as this, think about which one you enjoy solving with more, as it will definitely make your time speedsolving so much better.

Or just become method neutral, although I wouldn’t recommend straight away.

FireCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
No. Don't switch yo a deferent method.

Learn intuitive f2l and algs for the weird cases, full PLL might help, Learn how to do cross faster and practice.
If being as fast as possible is your goal, I would build off and add to what you already know, CFOP.

If solving with different methods or different puzzles sounds like more fun, then try something else for a while.

You can always come back to 3x3 CFOP anytime.

-= Solvador Cubi
Now is the time to ry out different methods. You have experience with CFOP but you aren't that fast yet, and if you think you would like to try a different method, try it now and see which one you like best, that way you aren't stuck with a method you hate. If you are perfectly fine with CFOP and don't care about any other methods, then dont switch.
IMO, learn CFOP with 4lll, learn ZZ and learn roux. Choose which one you prefer and which one you think has the most potential. For example, CFOP has proven its potential, with almost all the fast solvers using it. This is the same with roux but it only has Kian Mansor and Alex Lau, while zz hasn’t been proven. As well as this, think about which one you enjoy solving with more, as it will definitely make your time speedsolving so much better.

Or just become method neutral, although I wouldn’t recommend straight away.

Thanks for all the information guys!! It helped me a lot! :)

Oatch

Read into a bunch of other methods, just to see what you think of them. Try for at least the remainder of the 'big 4' to start (Roux, Petrus, ZZ). That way if you find a method you enjoy/like more than CFOP, then now's the best time to switch - to switch as early as you can so you don't have to unlearn old habits and lose progress with your other method. Even if you don't switch in the end, it'll expand your understanding of the puzzle and aspects of all methods are useful in speedsolving anyway, so there's nothing to lose.

Last edited:

WCA
2017WENR01
I switched to Roux and did not regret it one bit. However it depends on preferences.
Like blockbuilding -> Petrus
Like EO instead of cross -> ZZ
Fear of algorithms/ like M/U moves -> Roux.
Like to be weird -> SSC/Human Thistlewhatever.
Like old fashioned methods -> CFCE
Like lots of algorithms -> ZB