• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should I Get The Fangshi Shuang Ren?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I heard about a new cube called the fangshi shuang ren. I watched a very detailed review on it, and it seems like the perfect 3x3 for me. I'm just worried that if i buy it, it won't be as great as people say it is, plus i dont have any lube, so i usually try to make whatever i get in the box work for me. (i just don't have the money for lube right now.)
I'm also pretty bad at tensioning. And again, no lube so i can't really tell if my tensions are good or not. I think i should buy it though. What do you guys think?

googlebleh

WCA
2012WEEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, Dayan cubes might not be so helpful without lube, but my shuangren worked well without lube. Whether you'll like it or not is a matter of opinion though, and no one will be able to tell you that but you, once you try it.

As for tensioning, all cubes do better with proper tensioning, so there's your motivation to learn.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like it a lot. It took a while to break in and get to this point where it is so amazing but it's finally there and i love it. Also, I'd advise to replace the stickers because the stock stickers, although vinyls, are rather thin and will look very dark with black plastic. I bought some half brights + bright blue sets from cubesmith to solve this problem. I also lubed the core with shock oil.

EDIT: the one problem I do have is the occaisonal corner twists that occur every 15-20 solves or so if you aren't careful.

Last edited:

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's my main right now. I really like it and broke some PBs with it pretty much soon after I got it. I'm not sure what the corner twisting is about. I think it depends on your tensions and your turning style. Personally, I've only had one corner twist in a couple thousand solves. I'm not sure whether that's due to my style or my tensions or both. Just be warned that many people have complained about that so you might be taking your chances. I agree that it's pretty good without lube already. If you do get some lube at some point you'll want to lube the core. Pieces don't really need much.

YddEd

WCA
2012SHAO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never have corner twists on the Fangshi while solving. I've had 2 corner twists in a row with a Zhanchi and a Guhong though, and my Fangshi is really really loose. Don't know why everyone else keeps getting corner twists.
I would recommend the Fangshi.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never have corner twists on the Fangshi while solving. I've had 2 corner twists in a row with a Zhanchi and a Guhong though, and my Fangshi is really really loose. Don't know why everyone else keeps getting corner twists.
I would recommend the Fangshi.

Yay, someone else who doesn't get corner twists on the SR like me.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
All the best cubes can be bad if not tensioned and lubed well. Learn to tension, and get some lube. Cores need lube, even if some cubes like SR don't need it on the pieces.

WCA
2007ESTE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Fangshi Shuang Ren is really light and fast turning. If you are upgrading from store bought cube the Fangshi is a great cube to upgrade to. If you already have Zanchi, it has lighter turning and more controllable.

mati1242

Corner twists are very annoying in this cube, and they are the main disadvantage of this 3x3

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Actually I remember seeing a video where someone demonstrated how corners twist on a SR, and it happened when finger pressure stayed too long on a corner piece that was cutting. Don't recall which video it was.