• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] ShengShou 6x6x6

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Above Average

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Average

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Below Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Hays

WCA
2009HAYS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the ShengShou 6x6x6. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a 2:00 and a 2:08

Not completely sure if the embed is working because I'm at school; here is the actual link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPAapxmOns

Where to buy: Champions cube store, 51 more fun. In my opinion the store is very reputable. I E-mailed champion and he responded to my E-mails quickly (just e-mail him, don't do the contact form on the site), from what impressions I've gotten, he is the type of person who will work with you to fix any problems.

First Impressions: The Shengshou does not misalign!!!! This is easily the most important part about the cube and you need to know this immedietaly. The Shengshou 6x6 is definitely better than the V-cube out of the box, mostly because V-cubes suck out of the box. The Shengshou doesn't really need too much breaking in, and all I did to mine was clean out whatever lube was in it originally and put jig-a-loo and maru in it, which I do for all my cubes.

Overall opinion: I am probably going to end up using my V-cube at worlds. I want to avoid telling you which one is "better," since in this case they are actually probably close enough in speed that many people will have different opinions, especially since the quality of modded V-cubes vary. However, my fully modded, competition V-cube I would have to say is better than the Shengshou, but not by much. I'm averaging about 2:02-2:05 on my V-cube and I think 2:08 on my Shengshou.

If you're serious about getting good 6x6 or big cube times, I would definitely recommend getting and modding a V-cube, it's worth the money and effort and they can turn out to be really good cubes. However, if you're O.K. with adding a few seconds per solve, the Shengshou is a cheaper, non mod intensive cube to have. (Please not that the cubes are very similar in speed, so please watch the video to develop your own opinion, and If you really want to make sure, it's really neccessary to compare them both, especially since not all cubes are the same.)

(I'll ad more details when I have time. In short, the Shengshou has great centers, and O.K. edges. )

Last edited by a moderator:

Selkie

Premium Member
WCA
2011WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome to see the first video posted so quickly, thanks Hays :) Cannot wait to watch when I get home from work. I remember seeing your first posted times on the SS in the 6x6 thread and pleased to see how close you have got to your v-cube times already.

Ordered one of these way back when pre orders were initially accepted and looking forward to receiving it. Though I guess its advantages will be completly wasted on my pitiful solves ;)

I have to confess I fully modded (including pins) my first v6 and it is just beginning to show some potential after about 50 solves. Be interesting to compare them, though my modded v6 is white and I far prefer black but managed to change my early order for a white SS 6x6 (the only one available to order at the time) for a black one a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice review Hays. I think I'll get one next month, 6x6 is the only official puzzle I don't have, simply because I heard everyone say how rubbish the cubes can be.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm personally okay with how crappy my V6 turns, but I'm not okay with how easily/often it pops. Would you say this is much more stable?
The 5x5 almost never pops. Of course, the 6x6 is different, but if I had to guess, I'd say it probably doesn't pop much.

Hays

WCA
2009HAYS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm personally okay with how crappy my V6 turns, but I'm not okay with how easily/often it pops. Would you say this is much more stable?

I'd say they're probably similar in stability. I haven't done enough solves to be completely sure yet, I've had a few pops and a couple where internals came out. I have to experiment a little more with tensions and maru lube.

what shops sell these and how much?

51 more fun for $29.99.

Were you sent this for free as a tester or did you buy it? I haven't been able to buy one, every time I look there are -4 units in stock...

Champion sent me this one for free. I got one of the first batches of black cubes before he got a very large quantity from the factory. They were supposed to come out on September 20th, so I'm assuming he has some in stock now; I don't know why it would show up as -4 stock.