• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shengshou 5x5 mod Poll

Is the Shengshou 5x5 mod worth it?

• Total voters

aaronb

I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here
I did the mod on the 5x5, and when I finished, I was disappointed. I tensioned and lubed it before the mod, and it was an okay cube. When I finished it wasn't much better. I decided lube couldn't hurt, so I lubed the core (none of the surfaces) with differential oil, and it became AMAZING. I think it is as fast as my Guhong/Zhanchi. I do need to tighten it a little more, because it pops often. (It popped often before the mod, I just had the tensions too loose.) Locks ups happen rarely now. (Happened a lot before the mod)

I used a dremel, and then quickly sanded each piece. (I only sanded each piece for about 3-4 seconds, just enough to make it smooth.) It took me about 3 hours max. Maybe closer to 2. (Used a dremel, and a little sandpaper.)

Here are some pictures I took of the pieces. Some are blurry. (Sorry, I am not used to this camera.) If anyone wants more pictures of a specific piece, just PM me and I'll try to take more pics.

15x4d1i.jpg

124uekz.jpg

2zjhxg2.jpg

15x77k7.jpg

vzfqxv.jpg

282kg0.jpg

2j3ft6w.jpg

53lrno.jpg

8yx402.jpg

2evb4es.jpg

27yc22x.jpg

qs5c2o.jpg

Here is my amazing MS Paint skills showing you where I sanded, for anyone unsure of what to mod.

5extds.jpg

On each corner center, I sanded from the bottom of the stalk to the top.
vqqhzt.jpg

Notice how I made is so the top of the wing edges and the corner centers and really rounded. The top of the corner I sanded slightly, but not to the extent of the edges and centers.
11h3nzr.jpg

On the wing edges I sanded down the 2 sides, shown in blue. And rounded down the 2 places in red.
35k06lv.jpg

On the corner, you sand from the base, along the stalk, and up to the top. There are 3 sections on each corner, like the blue one I circled.

Tl;dr: Okay cube before, okay cube after; put lube in after mod, amazing cube. Definitely worth it.

samkli

WCA
2012KLIN03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took around 45 min per corner section for me. But I only used sandpaper and a knife. The mod is absolutely worth it. When I get time I will try to mod it even more so the double layers gets less locky too.

AUFT

I'm currently in the process of modding mine right now =) (I know it's an old thread but oh well.)