• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shengshou 4x4 V5 vs YJ YuSu for beginner

Volcuber

I'm looking to get into 4x4 and I average 41-42 seconds on 3x3. I was wondering which one of these puzzles is best for a beginner. I've had the Yuxin 4x4 and it exploded and I can't get it back together. I personally would also like to try something new.

For 3x3 I like cubes such as:

The Moyu Aolong V2 (my main)
The YJ Yulong

I dislike cubes such as:

The Guhong V2

I don't know if that helps for 4x4 recommendations. I will be lubing either cube with Traaxas 50K and Maru lube. If I got the Shengshou I would Konsta and Florian mod it. Sorry for the long read. It's my first post.

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
The yuxin 4x4 is better than both of these cubes, and it really is not too difficult to assemble, just watch a lubing video of it to assemble it.

LiquidDnB

YouTube
Visit Channel
You should probably get an aosu. It feels almost identical to the Aolong v2. It may be out of your price range, though. From what I can tell, you like crispy cubes with some degree of smoothness. I have a SS V5 and it performs decently after modding. The yusu, which I have yet to try, looks identical to the weisu, which is considered better than the SS. If I were in your situation I would go with the YuSu simply due to the promise of the X-Cube alignment mech adopted from the weisu.

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Have you tried the YJ Yusu, Phinagin? What's your experience of it compared to the Yuxin? Why do you say the Yuxin is superior. ( I haven't tried it and don't mean to be offensive, though I know it does sound really ... doubtful [what's the word even].)

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
Have you tried the YJ Yusu, Phinagin? What's your experience of it compared to the Yuxin? Why do you say the Yuxin is superior. ( I haven't tried it and don't mean to be offensive, though I know it does sound really ... doubtful [what's the word even].)
Every review of it I have seen says it is inferior to the aosu and yuxin.

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Keep in mind that the Yusu has only been out for a few days. Most, if not all the videos, are unboxing videos. Give them some time to set the cube up and break it in. Then you can compare it.

Volcuber

Thanks for all of the quick feedback, guys!

I've seen a debate in unboxings where some say the YuSu feels similar to a Guanglong and others don't agree. The Guanglong was the one YJ/Moyu cube that I felt and didn't care for. Can anyone confirm or disprove this opinion?

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
No. I do not own a YuSu though I do want one. The cube you will get depends on how much you want to do 4x4. The Aosu is generally regarded as the best 4x4 so if you have the money to spend, and want to do 4x4, then that's the one. The YJ Yusu and ShengShou are mostly just like gateway 4x4s, designed to get you more interested. Before you buy a new one, you should try and assemble your Yuxin. The Yuxin is probably in the middle of the Aosu and Yusu/ShengShou.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just uploaded a YuSu review. It's really nice, especially for the price. If you can afford an AoSu get that, but if it's between the two in the title get the YuSu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
Good review. Would you say that the Yusu has popping issues though? And another question, what 3x3 would you compare the feel of the turning of the Yusu to? Thanks. I personally am looking at getting a Yusu because it does look like a good cube for a good price.

Volcuber

After looking around at 4x4's for a few days, I've come across the Cyclone Boys G4. Some reviews say it rivals the Aosu. I've heard you need to resticker it but that's not a problem. I'm seriously leaning toward this puzzle. Do any of you have this?

cashis

the yuxin is only a few dollars more expensive, and is superior to the yusu. If money is really tight, get the yusu, but of you can spare like 3 dollars, get the yuxin. Dont get the SS, its inferior to everything nowadays.

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
I'm a complete noob at 4x4 so I have nothing to compare it to, but the Cyclone boys 4x4 is quite nice. The corner cutting is good, but it lacks reverse corner cutting. The middle layers have a bumpy feeling that I really like, but they are also noticeably slower than the outer layers. I don't know if it's just the way I set mine up, but it's not all that fast, making it perfect if you're also a noob. However, when I get faster I bet I can easily speed it up with some weight one or too. I also like it because it is very stable and if you're a beginner you can't go wrong. I recommend it, but you should reassemble you yuxin first. When I first got my 4x4, I took it apart to look at the mechanism and it took like 2 hours to assemble it. Overall, I would get it since it's the best 4x4 I know of, but maybe the yusu is better as well as cheaper.

MoyuFTW

WCA
2015LEEA05
I'm also a complete noob (1:40sec) and I just unboxed the Yusu. It's a lot better than the my old Shengshou. It is scratchy and very controllable. I think, out of the box, it is too slow for serious 4x4 speedcubers. But it's good so far. (for me)

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
After looking around at 4x4's for a few days, I've come across the Cyclone Boys G4. Some reviews say it rivals the Aosu. I've heard you need to resticker it but that's not a problem. I'm seriously leaning toward this puzzle. Do any of you have this?

Convinsa Just posted a review of it on her channel and said it was better than the Aosu, Though she Isn't using it as her main because its not available In white Plastic.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it's really just between the Yusu and Shengshou, go Yusu.

It's the same mech as a Weisu, and essentially feels the same. Both are definitely superior to a Shengshou v5. My Yusu is still on stock tensions and is a little tight. Also I never relubed it, but it's still getting better with break-in. It outperforms my v5.

That said, the Aosu is still the far better cube. I'd honestly recommend it over any other option, unless an extra $10-$15 really is a deal breaker for you.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it's really just between the Yusu and Shengshou, go Yusu.

It's the same mech as a Weisu, and essentially feels the same. Both are definitely superior to a Shengshou v5. My Yusu is still on stock tensions and is a little tight. Also I never relubed it, but it's still getting better with break-in. It outperforms my v5.

That said, the Aosu is still the far better cube. I'd honestly recommend it over any other option, unless an extra $10-$15 really is a deal breaker for you.

This ^

Volcuber

Sorry I haven't replied in a few days. I've been really busy lately. I think I'm gonna go Cyclone Boys with some Half Bright stickers. I was gonna use Mini Aosu stickers. Will these align if I use application tape or will they be off since they're not fitted. I'd really not like to resticker by hand. I mould assume they'll be ok since they're both 60MM cubes. But...the I'm a big supporter of Moyu/YJ and the Yusu DOES look nice. Is one of these better than the other? The Yusu looks speedcubeable out of the box. That's a big plus. I really hate disassembling cubes and restickering.

Last edited: