• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Share a tip, Win a Qiyi Mini Wuque M 4x4

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
In effort to encourage people to share tips and help each other in the community, I'm giving away at Qiyi Mini Wuque M 4x4. For the next 2 weeks, you can reply to this thread and post 1 tip for the cubing community - could be about getting faster, having less nerves, making friends, link to a useful post/article, anything useful. You can only reply once or you're disqualified, and winner will be chosen at random in 2 weeks, ending Oct 25th at midnight UTC 0.

Let's have a mission to be open, share, welcome new people to the community, and help each other.

Ready, set, go!

Atomixcc

Hi! here's a tip most people probably know alredy
if you are trying to learn a new method, split it into parts that are easy to memorize and practice it each night. take it slow.
hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

SenorJuan

My tip for new cubers worrying about getting faster:
Back in the early 1980's , we could get sub-30s solves using Rubiks brand cubes, no finger-tricks, and unsophisticated methods.
So you don't need fancy expensive cubes, or a vast algorithm knowledge to be quick.
Save you money, use modest cubes, and build up your technical skills gradually as you progress.

I don’t want the cube, just helping.
If you are nervous in your comp, take deep breaths and tell yourself: I’ve done all my preparation, this is the time to shine.
www.badmephisto.com -good algs
www.cubeskills.com -by Feliks Zemdegs
Also, for beginners, I encourage learning the PLLs before the OLLs- it’s just more important.
Sorry for more than one tip, good luck to y’all!

Last edited:

SM cubing

WCA
2018MACK04
DONT. FAKE. SOLVES. It helps absolutely nobody. You aren’t showing real improvement by faking a single. Also, everyone knows the fake scrambles that are super lucky, so don’t even try. Even if you use a random lucky scramble that nobody knows about, we can still tell. So basically, if you’re a 30 second solver with a 3 second single, congrats, you’re faking it.

Atomixcc

here is another good tip for those trying to learn a method
don't ever think you are at full potential. there is always room for improvement.

Atomixcc

here is another tip
set goals when learning but don't try to fulfill them strait away. take the time to build up confidence before tackling those goals head on.

YouTube
Visit Channel
here is another good tip for those trying to learn a method
don't ever think you are at full potential. there is always room for improvement.

here is another tip
set goals when learning but don't try to fulfill them strait away. take the time to build up confidence before tackling those goals head on.
Nice triple post:)
Do you know how to edit a post?

Reizii_

WCA
2019LAWS01
Something I've found out for nerves at a competition, no idea if this is just me or other people are like this too:

Don't warm up before a solve with the same cube you're about to solve. I've found out that when I warm up doing this I tend to not overthink my official solves as much because doing the other cube takes my mind off of it. At my last competition, I warmed up for skewb with my Rubik's clock. I remember being noticeably less shaky and ended up performing better.

jakelevine

WCA
2009LEVI01
Something I've found out for nerves at a competition, no idea if this is just me or other people are like this too:

Don't warm up before a solve with the same cube you're about to solve. I've found out that when I warm up doing this I tend to not overthink my official solves as much because doing the other cube takes my mind off of it. At my last competition, I warmed up for skewb with my Rubik's clock. I remember being noticeably less shaky and ended up performing better.
I've found warming up with one order higher aka 5x5 warmup for 4x4 is really great.

Also good for those who don't have duplicate cubes.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Here’s a tip:
Don’t base your own progress off of others.
I use roux, and seeing my own improvement has been kind of hard. I was hovering for a long time at around 20 seconds, and that discouraged me. I wanted so much to be consistently sub-20. Adding on to that, I started roux 3 months after I started cubing (used CFOP before that) so although I had only been doing roux for 3 months at this point, it felt more like 7 months because that’s how long I had been cubing for. I saw others’ insane progress with CFOP and tried to compare it with mine and only became sad. I soon realized that it doesn’t matter, and if you go beating yourself up you won’t have time to improve. So just cube, be yourself, go to comps, and have fun.

I feel like I should say something here but I have nothing to say.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Slow, deliberate practise is the key to improvement. Spamming solves may work until you’re like sub 30, but after that, it’s real hard. Assess your solves, be critical about them, see what you need to work on.

Also how do we receive the cube? Just asking, because I might not be able to get it, which is unfair for other people’s chances.

Ojas03

A tip for beginners,
don't get discouraged by fast cubers. You may think that you could never get that fast. I also thought the same thing for a long time and left cubing for about 4 years (I averaged 50 seconds at that time). But I got into cubing again this year in February and dropped my times. I am now sub-13 after 8 months and aiming to be sub-10 by the end of this year. Moral of the story, even if you can't break a barrier, just don't give up.

grokus

The first cube you buy to improve speed is important, I bought the gts 2m because it was told to be a fast and good cube in a nice price.
as soon as i opened the box I was dissapointed cause it was so much smaller than the cube I started with, I went to my room and asked my self what have I done, i set both cubes near each other and the size diffrence blaze my heart.

I found about the abilities of the cube and not the outside of it, the 2 milimeter diffrence is big, because it's on all 3 dimensions.
don't do what I did measure your start cube!

Izaden

Tip for transitioning to CFOP from LBL(Beginners)

1) Build the white cross on the bottom.
2) learn basic intuitive f2l and then stop learning f2l for a while
3) learn 4LLL then resume f2l learning

Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me transition!

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Go to a comp no matter what speed you are. They are super fun!

Don't be like me: I waited until I averaged under 12 seconds before I even thought about going to a comp ;)

Being faster put a lot of pressure on me during my first comp, if you go to one when you are slower you won't care as much about your results and you will be less nervous.

xyzzy

Don't fear S moves in algs; S is for style points.

For example, some alternative anti-PLL algs to these:
1831: (y') S U2 R U R' U' R' U' S' R' U R
1832: (y') S U2 R' U' R U R U S' R U' R'
1833: S [U' R' U', R2] [U R U, R2] S' (for OH; the MrU algs are better for 2H: [r U' M2 U r' : U2] and M' U M U2 M' U M2 U' M' U2 M U' M')
1834: S R' U' R U R U R U' R' S'
1835: S R' U' R U R U R U R2 U2 R2 U2 R S' (also for OH; the MU alg is better for 2H and maybe OH with table abuse)

The more standard places S moves show up in would be R2 U' S' U2 S U' R2, R2 U' S R2 S' R2 U R2 and related algs for U perms; S' R U/U' R' S for VHLS; edge 3-cycle comms used in blindsolving (e.g. [S, R' F R]); etc.

Also how do we receive the cube? Just asking, because I might not be able to get it, which is unfair for other people’s chances.
If you were "supposed" to get it, but decline and (assuming) it gets sent to another randomly chosen person instead, their odds would be exactly the same as if you weren't in the drawing at all.

Last edited: