• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shaking hands?

PCCuber

WCA
2022CEND01
Over the past months I have noticed that my hands tremble when I lay them out straight. I thought this was normal, so I thought nothing of it. A few days ago I asked my family if their hands tremble, and they don't. They suggested maybe it's because of my cubing hobby, and how I spam turns a lot. I have been researching this, and I doubt I have any neurological disorders. My question is: Do your hands tremble too? Is it cubing, or something different?

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I only shake hands when I break PB :cool:

1626096199470.png

nah, my hands don't tremble when I'm solving home, but when I started timing my solves right back in the beginning I used to get pretty nervous with 15s inspection, then I got used to it

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
My hands tremble a tiny bit most of the time, but when I'm nervous, it can become quite extreme. Many times at cubing competitions other competitors have expressed concern, afraid I'm not okay because I'm shaking so badly. But it's just the way I get at competitions; sometimes I drop the cube because I'm trembling so badly. I often have similar problems when performing musically for things I really care about.

In any event, I definitely didn't develop it because of cubing; I had this problem before I started cubing, when performing music. But I guess there is some similarity between the motions playing keyboards and those cubing - they might be related that way.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
The only time my hands have shook while cubing is before my first comp. I’m pretty sure that pyraminx was the first event, and I could barely even pick up the thing because my hands were shaking so much. As the day went on, though, it got much better, and it felt almost like doing solves at home. (Don’t even get me started on nerves before running a 100 meter dash; that’s 10 times worse.)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Over the past months I have noticed that my hands tremble when I lay them out straight. I thought this was normal, so I thought nothing of it. A few days ago I asked my family if their hands tremble, and they don't. They suggested maybe it's because of my cubing hobby, and how I spam turns a lot. I have been researching this, and I doubt I have any neurological disorders. My question is: Do your hands tremble too? Is it cubing, or something different?
Maybe it is something super cold you touch a lot or the fact that you live in a cold place (even tho it's summer), or something like that, though I doubt that's the cause. Does it feel like you're shivering?

xyzzy

I feel like my hands sometimes shake a little when carrying things, which isn't something I noticed much of prior to my speedcubing obsession (pre-2015). It could also well be that my hands had always been like that and I just never noticed.

If I just place my hands flat on a surface, though, definitely no shakes. Likewise when holding eating utensils. Your condition could be quite serious; seconding the suggestion to seek medical advice.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
Compare how much they shake when your fingers are spread apart vs together. Also, hold you arms at a comfortable angle and don't move them, but also try turning your hands at the wrist to different angles and see if the angle also affects the amount of shaking.