• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

sewing machine oil

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
can it be use as a lubricant
to use in your cube?
rather than silicone?
I use it for my DIY cubes and it works better than anything else I've tried (which includes silicone).

I would not use it
1) Oil is bad for some plastics
2) Oil is bad for stickers , especially the paper based stickers
3) Oil is bad for the clue of the stickers, so you stickers will slide when used a lot
4) your hands will get slippery, I guess especially when the cube is at hand temperature

Johannes91

I would not use it
So don't use it for puzzles made of those plastics. I use type A DIYs, before that rubiks.com DIYs and 25th anniversary cubes and oil hasn't "killed" any of them.

3) Oil is bad for the clue of the stickers, so you stickers will slide when used a lot
4) your hands will get slippery, I guess especially when the cube is at hand temperature
Don't lube the stickers. Put at most a few drops inside the cube and make some turns and it won't come out. At least it doesn't for me.

Last edited:

TomZ

Silicone Lubricant = Oil

TomZ

Silicone Lubricant = Oil
I think that's wrong both ways.
Aren't there silicone lubricants that aren't oil?
Definitely there's oil that isn't silicone lubricant.

Obviously it's not right the oil -> silicone way, and there could be some silicone lubricants that aren't silicone oil but I'm pretty sure most are. The point of my message was to show that saying 'oils = bad for some plastics' isn't quite right as most of us use silicone oil on our cubes. Sewing machine oil might work. It's not possible to rule out oils altogether.

TomZ

Shock oil = silicone oil = amazing. Also I disagree that most people use silicone oil. The vast majority to my knowledge use CRC, Jigaloo, or another silicone spray lube.

Food-Grade CRC contains over 60% petroleum oil. Using a spray lubricant doesn't mean you don't use oil.

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Silicone Lubricant = Oil

Duh I mean non carbon ( petrol) based oil, there is no (carbon based))oil in silicone oil ....it is just 100% silicone fluid

Last edited:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
another silicone spray lube.

how does silicone spray differ from oil apart from their states? (one is liquid, one is gaseous)

Silicone spray is a liquid until it dries. It is merely propelled by gases.

Shock oil = silicone oil = amazing. Also I disagree that most people use silicone oil. The vast majority to my knowledge use CRC, Jigaloo, or another silicone spray lube.

Food-Grade CRC contains over 60% petroleum oil. Using a spray lubricant doesn't mean you don't use oil.

Thats Food-Grade CRC though, which is not available (or just EXTREMELY rare) in North America. CRC heavy duty does not contain oils, and it is probably the most used lubricant in the United States. I also believe Jigaloo, which is more populare among Canadians and the Northeast US does not contain Oils either. The same goes for most other generic silicone sprays found in North America.

Logan

Alot of Azure
WCA
2009KELL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK PEOPLE!!! Silicone Spray/oil is not a LUBRICANT!!! Think of thin layers of those silicone sleeve things that you put on things (ie: wii remote sleeve). What silicone spray does is it coats a layer of silicone on the cube. Silicone is smoother than plastic. Silicone makes it better because silicone rubs on silicone instead of plastic rubbing on plastic. A lubricant is something (usually liquid or liquidly solid) that helps reduce the friction by gooping it up. Silicone dries! So in conclusion, SILICONE IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!! That is why I use it.

*BOLD print is used to show main points*

USE:
crcheavydutysilicone.jpg

Last edited:

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
What silicone spray does is it coats a layer of silicone on the cube. Silicone is smoother than plastic. Silicone makes it better because silicone rubs on silicone instead of plastic rubbing on plastic.
Which makes it a lubricant

A lubricant is something (usually liquid or liquidly solid) that helps reduce the friction [...]
Stop there, no need to go on